I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Growing Body Parts From Human Cells
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Growing Body Parts From Human Cells  (Read 2162 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 27, 2010, 11:53:16 AM »

Growing Body Parts From Human Cells
Regenerative medicine centers are studying how we can grow body parts from human cells.

First Posted: 07-26-10 11:33 AM   |   Updated: 07-26-10 12:08 PM

Advances in regenerative medicine means it's possible for damaged body parts to be regrown from human cells, and 60 Minutes featured the growing area of study.

The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine is working on this with all kinds of organs and parts of the body and hopes to fight the fact people are dying while on the transplant wait list.

Dr. Anthony Atala of the Wake Forest Institute told CBS the goal is to "provide replacement tissues and organs that can be used to help [such patients] survive."

Atala says some body parts are easier to recreate than others, such as the ear, though the hope is eventually all body parts can be regenerated.

So far, human bladders have already been replicated based on cells and replaced into the body. Each replication takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks.

WATCH the full feature on "Growing Body Parts From Human Cells" below:
http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?freewheel=69016&sitesection=ndnsubss&VID=89541

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/26/growing-body-parts-from-h_n_659273.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »

I was watching this on television it is quite interesting.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »

This is just up the road from me.  It is a great news article.  They have grown a heart valve too.  Grow me a kidney!! I will gladly be their guinea pig!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »

I hopefully for a more sizable.........ooops... I will keep it to myself.. >:D
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »

Sluff; ? bigger  kidney ? :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
rocker

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »

I hopefully for a more sizable.........ooops... I will keep it to myself.. >:D

Excuse me....but what's the point of making it bigger if you keep it to yourself??!
alrac

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:02:55 AM »

just an article I found interesting...  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/49002.php

Bioengineers from the Medical University of South Carolina and Clemson University believe their research has the potential to save the lives of thousands of patients desperately waiting for a kidney while, at the same time, cutting costs associated with kidney disease.

Using principles of "tissue self-assembly" (cells coming together to form actual tissues such as a kidney, heart, lung etc.) and stem cell research, scientists involved with the MUSC Bioengineered Kidney Project are testing the possibility of creating a new kidney from a patient's cells. The progress that already has been achieved with the project has scientists around the world excited about the potential.

"While other researchers are trying to grow kidney tissues slowly, the essence of the technological approach employed in the MUSC Bioengineered Kidney Project is rapid directed tissue self-assembly, which is based on exploration of the tissue fusion phenomenon," said Roger Markwald, Ph.D., Chair of the MUSC Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy.

"Bioengineering of living human kidneys will be especially good news for patients with end-stage kidney disease and also will directly address healthcare disparities as kidney disease occurs more frequently in minority populations in South Carolina," said John Raymond, M.D., Ph.D., MUSC Provost and Vice President for Research. "This project will place MUSC on the national and world landscape as one of the leading institutes in the area of bioengineering and regenerative medicine."

About 60,000 patients in the U.S. are currently waiting to receive a kidney. Sadly, many will likely die before a suitable donor is found. Although modern dialysis is designed to save lives, it is both physically and financially draining on patients and families. The cost of maintaining the life of one patient with end-stage kidney disease is around $250,000. Kidney disease consumes 6 percent of Medicare expenditures.

Vladimir Mironov, Ph.D., Director for MUSC's Bioprinting Research Center, is confident in the feasibility of the ongoing project. He said that although sustainable and sufficient project funding is important, desirable and necessary, absolute conviction and persistence can make the biggest difference.

----------------------------
Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.
----------------------------

"Hit the yellow button, then stop, then the green kidney"
"wake up, you aren't even on the machine, it's your alarm."
First treatment 11-1-07
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 03:15:54 PM »

A PR piece that really said nothing but vague ideas and theories.
They seem to be fishing for investment dollars!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jdwills83

LOVE will fix ANYTHING.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »

I have contacted Dr. Anthony Atala and have talked with assistant via email. According to his assistant they are pioneering the way to growing organs for humans. Unfortunately the time it takes to put test these organs in human trials could take years.  This means it could be 10-20 years before its even an acceptable form of treatment for ESRD. I was told my contact information was taken down and I would be contacted once they moved forward with human trials.

This is an exciting time for science.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »