I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Putting on fluid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Putting on fluid  (Read 2951 times)
murf

« on: January 20, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »

After a month of PD, I can't seem to control my fluid. I am drinking the same amount as I was on hemo (for four years) but my weight keeps going up. After just one small (and I mean small) cup of tea and toast my weight goes up by 500g and after a PD session, it will only go down a fraction. I am already using 3 green bags/1 yellow bag. Each morning when I weigh in, it is up by 500=1000g. Bit depressing this. I thought PD was supposed to be easier but I find it tough. What gives?

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »

You might be putting on actual weight.  How are your ankles?  BP?  I would relax the drinking more - you should be able to.  I got this advice from ihd too at the beginning and they were right.  Strange.  Play with it a bit - it's not the end of the world to go up a bit on PD - it's not like haemo.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »

murf, I know what you are saying.When my husband came off hemo to go back on to PD three months ago his dry weight on hemo was 73kilo, since being back on PD his weight is never below 78kilo and they want it down. He is on 3 green and over night a purple. He has a little edema around his ankles and his BP is up as well. On hemo his BP was 120/80 and now it is 180/87. No matter what we do it does not come off. He does not drink much at all and only tea and a little water, with pills. He walks every day for an hour. We tell the nurse that he is eating better since coming off hemo but she does not want to know, she says it is fluid. Hidden fluid. You just can not win. Oh, constipation is another thing, he has had x-rays and he is not bunged up.so to say. I must say he is far happier and contented on PD.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »

Sometimes the only option is stronger bags and more exchanges! I did 5 yrs of pd and dont know where people get the idea you can relax on the fluid? It gathers just the same you know! Yes you may have gained a little body weight. As for hidden fluid thats the worst of all , i ended up in hospital with hidden fluid , hidden in my lungs and all around my heart ! Pd can be great but its not for everyone , its just the regime thats easier , not always the results. After 5 yrs on pd , im now on hemo and although i hate it , im getting better blood work back than i ever did on pd !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

I notice when I eat bread/toast that my weight seems to increase much more than you would think until the food is digested. ie: have 4 slices of toast and yeah my weight shoots up but next morning it's back to where it should be. I always wondered if that was some property of bread/starches or whatever that did that.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
murf

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:53 AM »

Got sick of putting on the fluid so did measuring today. I ate 2000 cals, drank 800ml of fluid yet went up by 300g in weight? This is more stringent that my hemo restrictions.

Started PD New Year 2010
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:40:54 AM »

Oh  murf, its a pain in the ar*e, My husbands weight is still up, nurse came yesterday and checked his edema, he now has very little in his ankles and his BP is down alot. He is scheduled for an op on 11 Feb they are going to twiddle his catheter because they placed it too high up in Nov. They are also going to try putting another fistula in for back up, so we will wait and see. he is still peeing. Are you? Other wise his blood work is better than when he was on hemo.  :banghead; :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;
murf

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:08:15 PM »

Update. Have been put on extraneal bag for the last fill. Weight is slowing coming down. At least it is not going up by 3 kg or so after a session.

Started PD New Year 2010
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:45:42 PM »

Murf glad things are settling down
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »