I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:32:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  So sad!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So sad!  (Read 5132 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:58 PM »

This probably will not sound like a big deal to many, but I feel devastated right now. I phoned my GP's office to get DEXA scan results and his wife answered and after checking for the results told me that he has sold his practice and will see his last patients at the end of the month. I have mentioned this doctor repeatedly on here because I have always felt so lucky to have been randomly assigned to him by insurance. I am in tears over this, which is pathetic, but there you go. As I said to Gwyn, I hate going to the doctor, I have bad memories and bad experiences that haunt me even today, and yet this doctor made the intolerable tolerable. I feel like Laura at the end of The Glass Menagerie "You - won't - call again?"(a reference that may not resonate with anyone else here, but I was obsessed with the play from a young age).

His wife said it all happened really fast, and that he has an opportunity that never falls to "people like him" (her words, no idea). He will be a medical director with an insurance company or medicare, I was not clear on which, but I just wanted to ask him "So, why are you going over to the dark side, exactly?" From what I can tell, he won't be one of those directors that says yes or no to a procedure, so at least he has not sold his soul outright. Obviously, I wished them both the best and hope it works out for them. It certainly could not have happened to a nicer, more compassionate doctor. Still, I sit here positively gutted, and at the same time feeling silly for having this reaction.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »

Doesn't sound silly to me: this is a person who you have known a long time, in sometimes difficult circumstances, who you can trust and turn to when you need help.  Finding someone you can communicate with is hard to do on any walk of life, let alone one who can also help you manage your health.  And it takes time to "train up" a new doctor.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »

I am so sorry.  I do understand.  :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »

I'm so sorry you are losing someone you trust.  I hope he can recommend someone just as good.

:bow;

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »

I fully understand, Cariad....

I've been in your situation.... My previous GP was a gem, and I still miss her two years later.... I have a really nice GP now, but he's just not Hazel...

Below is a review I wrote about Hazel on a profesional site... You'll understand the sentiment.....

I hope you get a really great doctor...

God bless...

Darth....

I was a patient of Hazel's for many years... I have nothing but praise for her... Petite in stature, but with the biggest heart you'll find in any healthcare professional!...

Hazel is one of this world's givers... Generously giving of her time, her professional advice and assistance, and herself... Nothing is ever too much trouble to her in the care of her patients... I cannot speak highly enough of her...

I have a disability, and am a wheelchair user.. It can be very difficult to get a GP who takes the time and trouble to truly empathise, and understand their patient... When that patient presents with a significant , and very rare disability, and multiple complex conditions associated with it, that difficulty becomes almost an impossibility... Hazel never once made any issue of the extra time, and effort required to treat me... Any aditional effort was just swept under the rug with a wave of her hand, a huge smile, and a comment such as "It was nothing"...

Sadly, when Hazel moved on from my GP's surgery, I wasn't in a position to go with her... (transport issues)... I miss her terribly, and I wish to extend my heartfelt gratitude to her for many years of wonderful care...

This lady is one in a million... There are very few people who could be considered as born healers, Hazel is one such person... Speaking from my experience, I very highly reccomend her to others who are searching for an excellent doctor, with a wicked sense of humour, and a heart of pure gold...

Hazel, I wish you all the very best... Being your paitent has been a real pleasure...

C...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »

:grouphug; Good doctor's are a Godsend and losing one without being given a choice is tough!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:32:52 AM »

Cariad, I totally understand your reaction and will feel the same way the day my neph tells me he's retiring.  Those of us lucky enough to have found really good medical professionals understand because we've usually had to deal with the truly awful as well.  I hope you'll be lucky again.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »

Its great to have a GP or any Dr that you look forward to going to see.I too lost my neph 2yrs ago that called me at home to make sure my blood pressure was normal  and how i was doing after he made a medicine change.When he left his practice it seems like i had lost a best friend.Hope you find one that makes you feel comfortable as the one you lost.Not a silly reaction at all,just too bad everyone dont have a bond like that with their DR.

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »

You all are the best!

Oh, Darth, I cried when I read your review of Hazel. It hits the mark perfectly. I remember the first day I met my doctor, I was so fed up with the medical care I had been receiving that I was just a witch to everyone in that office. The nurse asked me what meds I was on and I actually said "There's a lot. It would be easier if I just wrote them on the chart myself." I'll never forget the look on her face as she handed the clipboard over to me. When the doctor came in I told him that what I really needed was a nephrologist and I was only here because insurance was making me get a referral from him. I was expecting to be politely shown the door, but he listened to my story about one of the local hospitals and then said "That's why I don't work for them." He then suggested I come back to see him in a month when a lesser doctor would have said "Here's your referral. Good luck."

Nat, it does take time to educate them, doesn't it? I like my doctors exceedingly mellow (I can work myself up into a frenzy, thanks!) and willing to take advice such as "let's prescribe me this drug, shall we?" and it certainly does not hurt if they are willing to listen to me dish on other doctors.

Thanks, Marc. It helps to hear that others get it, and I know you do.

Thanks, Rerun. According to his wife, he is trying to match up all of his patients with doctors that he feels will be a good fit. In a weird way, it's a bit exciting, as if I'll finally learn what he really thinks of me. :laugh:

Thanks for the support, Karol. Godsend is right. He came into my life when I needed a doctor like him most. I honestly believe I would still be ignoring my health, careening toward one heck of a crash, if it weren't for him.

Monrein, I always appreciate hearing that you can relate. I hope that day when you say goodbye to your nephrologist is a long way off.

Chris, I said the same thing to my husband, that it was like losing a friend. I keep saying that I feel like someone died or broke up with me.

Well, Gwyn and I go to our last appointment with him tomorrow morning. I doubt I'll ever see him again after, because although we've known him over six years, we have not once run into him on the streets. I'll let you know how it all goes. There's always a medical issue that either one of us could discuss, but in all honesty, we totally made this appointment just to have a chance to say goodbye.

A million thanks!  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »

:( :( :( :( :(

He's gone. I'm heartbroken.

He spent an hour chatting with us this morning. Some of it was actually medical. He was explaining his new job to us (working as Medical Director for a private company that sells a Medicare Advantage) and right in the middle of how excited he was about this new opportunity, he suddenly said "It will be a lot less joyous without the two of you." Gwyn and I both started to tear up. He also said he hoped to run into us again, but I already told you the likelihood of that. I hope I can find him in a few years, wherever I am, wherever he is, and at least send him the journal article about the trial.

I mentioned how mean I was at our first ever encounter and he said "That's OK" before I could even apologise. I said I did not expect to be invited back. Then he said "I can usually filter out those who act that way because they're like that all the time, and those who are like that because they're angry." At the end, he gave me a hug.

He is going to phone to discuss referrals and tests for me. He said he really wants to place me with a few different people who can coordinate all in one centre. I hope I like them. Gwyn and I want to get him and his wife a thank you gift and card. The card is easy, but I have no idea what to give him. They don't drink (and he's South African - how can this be?) so there goes our favorite present. His staff says he likes chocolate, but that seems kind of lame, especially because that is what the staff is getting him. I was thinking maybe I would get him that anthology of headlines from The Onion, might appeal to his sense of humour. Or there are two beautiful coffee table books from South Africa (Shack Chic and Mud Chic). I have wanted them for myself for ages, but perhaps I could order them for him. I just don't know.

I feel subdued tonight. Nothing is really capturing my attention. My heart is heavy. I guess I'm in mourning, but I'll be OK.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »

Anyone who references The Glass Menagerie is speaking my language.    I also understand.  I put so much confidence in my doctor that I can't imaging starting that relationship over again.  He knows about my life outside of the renal world and we talk about that more than the medical stuff.    I am sorry your's left so suddenly.  We will all hope you get a good doctor that you can relate to, but it won't be the same.   Go ahead and grieve.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »

There is nothing I could say to make you feel better.   :grouphug;
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »

:( :( :( :( :(

They don't drink (and he's South African - how can this be?) so there goes our favorite present.ng .

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Not all South Africans  drink (we don't)

So sorry to here that he is leaving. It can be a very long time before you get used  to a new doc.
I would not buy him books on SA - he knows SA already. I saw the most beautiful framed thankyou "collage" with a picture and pressed flowers in my docs office. It had a beautiful thankyou poem as well. He place it in the middle of his wall......

Maybe you can do something like that.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:04:15 AM »

Haha, Paris, it's so nice to know that there are at least two of us here who speak fluent Tennessee Williams. Thanks for the understanding. It's going to be weird the next time we need a GP. Just this morning my four-year-old was complaining about his eye bothering him and for a moment I thought "Well, I can just pop over to Dr.... oh, wait."

Marc, you DID make me feel better, just by letting me know that you read this and you understand. Thanks.

Des, I'm so glad you found my little joke funny and not offensive. I'm sure somewhere there are even Welsh people who don't drink, though I have never met one....  :rofl; I love your idea of some sort of thank-you art. :2thumbsup; My older son is quite the artist, and then we could  involve the kids in the gift. Thanks for the idea!

We have also decided to get him a few Welsh gifts for a bit of humour. Since he and Gwyn often talk sports, we are going to get him a Welsh rugby shirt and a cheesy Tom Jones cd for his wife. (Tom Jones is Welsh and his music is a classic Welsh gag gift.)

I am feeling much better today, and ready to move on and meet the new guy or gal. Thanks again for all of the support and best wishes.

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »

Hey Cariad...

Believe it or not... Shock, horror... There are even Irish people who don't drink!!!!...

I know, I know.... A sober Irishwoman... I'm a disgrace to my nationality!... :rofl;

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Hey Cariad...

Believe it or not... Shock, horror... There are even Irish people who don't drink!!!!...

I know, I know.... A sober Irishwoman... I'm a disgrace to my nationality!... :rofl;

Darth...

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

You'll have to prove it, Darth. OK, I'm just going to leave these two pints of freshly poured Guinness right here.... :beer1;  ;)

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »

Careful Cariad... Dougal loves Guinness!...... :rofl;... And YOU can wash his face afterwards... Getting booze out of his whiskers is VERY messy!...  :rofl;
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:27:39 PM by Darthvadar » Logged

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:30 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; Oh, dear! Much as I'd love to see that fuzzy face with a splash of Guinness foam, I think I'll just feed the pints to Gwyn. I (usually) won't have to clean him up after. :rofl; :rofl;

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »

Cariad....

Trouble with Dougal when he has a few drinks on him is his balance... When he needs a pee and lifts a leg, he just falls over!...  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

These posts have me truly laughing out loud!  You all are too funny today.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 05:30:27 AM »

These posts have me truly laughing out loud!  You all are too funny today.

Paris, it's even funnier when I have to prop the drunken dog up when he needs to pee... When he lifts the leg, and falls over on his back, there's a mini fountain because he forgets to stop peeing when he's on his back!!!... Oh boy!..... NOT a pretty sight... Thank God for baby wipes!!!!..... :rofl;

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »

Paris, it's even funnier when I have to prop the drunken dog up when he needs to pee... When he lifts the leg, and falls over on his back, there's a mini fountain because he forgets to stop peeing when he's on his back!!!... Oh boy!..... NOT a pretty sight... Thank God for baby wipes!!!!..... :rofl;
:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
What a sight that must be, the two of you! It all sounds so cute. Also revolting - but mostly cute. :rofl;

Now, I do have to wonder who has such a grudge against you that they are slipping your Dougal Guinness. Or do you keep it on hand just as a treat for him?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »