I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 07:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  sister of late brother. would love to chat to others in same position
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sister of late brother. would love to chat to others in same position  (Read 4464 times)
belita88

« on: May 26, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »

hi, my name is Josie and i live in Australia. im 21 years old and it has been 2years 10 months, 3weeks and 5 days since my brother passed away. he was just a month of his 23rd birthday. i wasnt there with him when he died as i live in Melbourne, Australia and he lived with my mum in Adelaide.
i will never forget the day i got that phone call. all my mother said was that he was gone. it broke my heart and everyday ii wake with the same pain that i felt that morning i heard that my amazing brother Matt had passed.
he was only little, 5ft4, blonde hair, hazel eyes. and weighing a mere 45kg. he was an angry little man, but hey, who isnt when their life revolves around hospitals and restrictions?
he started dialysis when he was 20. he went most days but some days he would do what he liked and not go and drink and smoke. i know he sounds like a bad person who didnt care about his health, but he did go most days until our brother Daniel passed away. he was 4 months off turning 19. he was tall and broad with an amazing sense of humour and so much love to give. he was a massive pain in the butt but what brother isnt. anyhow, Matt stopped caring about himself after Daniel passed away, they were best friends. Matt missed him so much.
I still hate myself for not going over to Adelaide to see Matt when my mother had said he was getting worse. I guess i thought Matt was invincible, after all he had been very sick since being on dialysis. coma's and throwing up blood etc. it was normal to us. i wish i had gone to see him. i hate myself everyday for not going over.
i loved him so much and he was a great person.
my family isnt the kind to say "i love you" to each other, hug or talk about feelings. but when my brothers said they cared for me, i  knew they meant it.
my brothers both had an amazing sense of humour, warped and twisted and they were the funniest people i knew.. Daniel wasnt on dialysis. he wasnt even sick, but he would always look after Matt and be there for him. as would i with what i could. i would go to the hospital with him and my mum every second day and stay with him for the whole 4hrs.
i could tell matt hated it but after having a grumble about the nurses screwing things up, he would be happy again. i know i helped him get through things, we were close.
the poor man had so many operations and hospital stays in his life, so i am relieved in a way, that he is no longer in pain, but for my own selfish reasons i still wish he were here.

i came to this site to find some closure and i hope that people will write to me. preferably close to my own age. male or female, on dialysis or just a family member.
please email me at belitabartel88@hotmail.com
thanks
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:26:28 PM »

:cuddle; I am so sorry. It's awful to lose someone so young, and it's natural to feel sad that you didn't get to spend the time with them, but sadly the end cannot be predicted. Best wishes to you. And a HUG too!  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:24:35 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »

Josie, I'm so sorry for both of your losses.  I'm glad you feel safe with us to share your feelings.  I bet you do feel a sort of relief that Matt is no longer tied to a machine every other day of his life, and I'm sure you miss them both.  They would want you to be happy and life the full life that they could not.  I hope you can do that in memory of them.

Rerun, Moderator             :cuddle;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »

Wow, Josie I'm so sorry that you and your family have been dealing with all this.  It will take time for all of you to get a point when the pain is lessened and it will most likely never go away completely.  It is really important that you know how much your brothers cared about you and I feel very sure that they knew also that you cared back just as deeply.  Please don't hate yourself for not going over to see Matt as things went downhill.  I understand what you mean when you say that because guilt can be strong but it's not helpful to Matt and most definitely not to you.  You are too young to burden yourself with those feelings and losing both your brothers like you have (19 and 24 are far too young for anybody to die) and so close in age to you too is already enough of a burden without piling on any more.
Rerun is very wise when she writes that "They would want you to be happy and live the full life that they could not."  You will be honouring them both if you can take strength from your relationships with them and you already know what many people take a lifetime to learn...Life is precious, it is short and every moment counts.

Remember that you can always come here to share your memories of them if you want to (we like funny, warped and twisted) or even just rant a bit (like Matt did about the nurses' screwups) so you can try to get back to being happier again.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »

Sorry for your loss. You are always welcome here. :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »