I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:30:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Parathyroidectomy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parathyroidectomy  (Read 4298 times)
Red from Canada

« on: June 06, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »

Hi Guys!  Well, tomorrow I go in for my parathyroidectomy. Doctor says he hopes it will help with my severe bone pain, but nio guarantees.  I have been feeling really poorly lately and my legs and left hand and arm are affected.  Has anyone had this done lately, and did it help??  I just need some encouragement that it will be worth it.  Thanks.
totosidney

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

I had a partial Parathyroidectomy 2 years ago. I would suggest that you ask if this procedure is available and appropriate. It is *sometimes* a better option because you may not then need Parathyroid hormone replacement. But, either way, the operation will make you much healthier. I think it will most likely cure the bone problems. My operation went easily with minor pain and no side effects. This is one of those times (and there have been many) where I said, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" Best of luck...Sid
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »

I had it done a few years back.  Not so bad. They put you under and will give pain killers to you afterward.  You may have a drain in your neck to drain as it heals for a few days. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »

Never had it. My question is is it impatient or outpatient?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Red from Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »

Sullidog, mine will be a few days inpatient to straighten out the calcium levels, as I have other things wrong too.
Epofriend

This is what happens in Vegas!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

I had a parathyroidectomy several years ago. It is an outpatient procedure difficultywise, but I was inpatient until my calcium levels stabilized. A small bit of one gland was left in place because parathyroid hormone is important for bone health. Sometimes, they are fully removed and a small bit is implanted elsewhere for ease of access in case of future problems.

Yes, it helped immensely! The bone pain gradually decreased and a broken bone finally began to heal. The osteoporosis is slowly reversing itself. It is well worth it and should be encouraged long before runaway hyperparathyroidism ravages the bones.

Best wishes Red

kevno

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »

I had it done in 1991, before that I fell on my knees and broke both of my knees. Then the X-Rays showed how thin my bones had got. After a few years being on one alpha. My bones have now thickened up. They can now not see through my hips on X-Rays. So it is a good operation to have if you have bone pains.

The operation is a lot different now.  So no good me telling you about my experience.  You will be fine, plus the best thing is you will start feeling a lot of difference in a few months.  :thumbup;

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
totosidney

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »

PS...Suddenly a memory of the hospital trying to kill me flashed back! Calcium levels can swing wildly (dangerously) after the Parathyroidectomy. It is important that blood tests be promptly. My Doctor forgot, and I called him, and he called the hospital and they had some crazy new policy that the Doctor couldn't do order over the phone! (Crazy?) But they didn't tell the doctor. blah..blah.. I sent my wife out for Tums and ate a half dozen, 4 hours later they did the blood test and brought me a hand full of tums. So be aware, they need to do blood tests...Sid
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 06:02:48 AM »

You may want to read some past posts about Parathyroidectomies:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=690.msg5620#msg5620
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=6231.msg91987#msg91987

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:23 PM »

How high were your calcium levels? (For anyone here whose calcium levels were high)

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Red from Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »

Hi Guys!  Well I had the parathyroid surgery and my PTH went from 160 down to 8 then to 1, so that was a big success.  The bone pain is also gone, but they implanted a piece in my left neck muscle and that is causing a lot of discomfort.  However, I am sure it is just a matter of healing the bruised muscle.  Thanks for all your support Yay, me!  Love you all.
           Dennise
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:32:08 PM »

Oh hey, thats great! [Sorry for the late reply!]
In your neck!!?? Eek. Mikes 1/2 remaning parathyroid was implanted into his forearm..

Which brings me to my next point. I just read over the notes/results from Mikes parathyroidectomy.. one of the notes states that one of the things they removed was part of a lymph node.. umm, is that even supposed to happen??!!

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »