I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Litterboxes - never touch one again or just not for a while?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Litterboxes - never touch one again or just not for a while?  (Read 3890 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: July 06, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »

After transplant, is the restriction on litterboxes a never thing or just a not for x-months thing? Does anyone else have cats who use:

- A Litter Robot ("stuff" drops into a garbage bag, so there's no scooping). A Litter Robot isn't the same as a LitterMaid. The LitterMaid doesn't work very well. It's one of those rake systems that rakes the "stuff" into a container at one end of the box. They're nasty - the rake blades get "stuff" caked all over them and they don't scoop very well. The Litter Robot works great. The "stuff" drops into a hole at the bottom directly into a garbage bag.

- Doggy pee pads. One of my cats stopped using any form of litter box years ago. She prefers doggy pee pads. I've never seen a reason to argue with her about it. The pee pads are easy to pick up and there's no cat-litter tracking or dust from them.

Are these likely to be accepted instead of hiring someone permanently to come scoop my litterbox every day for the rest of my cats' lives? Two of my cats (I have three cats) use a traditional litterbox these days, but I have a Litter Robot. It just isn't plugged in right now because there's no outlet where I'd want it.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

It's a "life of the transplant" thing.  Actually, you can continue to use what ever system works for you and your cats - you just have to change how you dress for it.  You must wear a filtering mask, gloves and googles or glasses whenever you clean the pans. 

For that reason, I have my cat set up with traditional, non-scoop litter that just gets completely changed out once a week.  That way, I don't have to glove up as often.  When I do clean the pan, I gear up, pull out the contents of the pan, liner and all, disinfect the pan, toss the wipes into the used liner and take it out to the trash, all with the gear on.  The gloves get put in the dumpster, and I reuse the mask.  I try to schedule the cleaning for sometime immediately before a shower, but I still scrub up to my elbows and change clothes regardless. 
I also mask up when I sweep or scrub the floor in the laundry room where the cat pan is located.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »

It's a "life of the transplant" thing.  Actually, you can continue to use what ever system works for you and your cats - you just have to change how you dress for it.  You must wear a filtering mask, gloves and googles or glasses whenever you clean the pans. 

Huh. I certainly know all about toxoplasmosis, but I never bothered with any of this. I would wear gloves to be sanitary, but I never had a whole kit to don. I lived with cats from around the age of 10 until 2007 when we had to put our little fluffernutter AJ down. They say that most people who have spent any time around cats have already contracted and cleared toxoplasmosis, and I suspect I was no exception. AJ was here through both pregnancies, and toxoplasmosis causes brain damage in unborn children, so Gwyn cleaned the litter tray through those months, but that's it.

I would say it's not a major concern once your immunosuppresants are dropped to maintenance doses.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

All the info I have read and my transplant doctors have said never change the litter for the life of the transplant.   I have not changed it for 10 months, my husband takes care of it.   It really isn't worth the chance.  I have had cats my whole life, too, but the doctors still say no.  I wipe her paws with baby wipes or paper towels (with gloves) because there is always some litter in her dense fur.       

I think my first email from Chris after my transplant was to remind me "don't change the kitty litter!).   

Any other opinions or experiences? 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »

Well guess I'm different to most of you.

I too talked with all & sundry transplant types, nephs etc regarding this issue both before and after tx.

I did not go near the tray for the first 3 months. I got my sister to do it :)

Since then though I've changed the litter (scooped etc) wearing gloves and immediately after bagging the litter etc removing gloves, washing hands (and then with antibacterial).

Have not had a problem(that I know of) since then. The tx team has been happy with that procedure.

Just be careful, and wash!!!! has been the mantra really.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

Thanks all! I'm going to take the responsibility back to myself as soon as possible then. I'm single and don't want to pay someone to come over every day for the next x years.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »

I have to reread what my transplant center sates in their book compared to what I was told. When I have to change the litter box, I wear a mask, safty google/ glasses, gloves, pants, and a sweater at the time. After cleaning the box and taking it outside to the garbage (on garbage pick up days the night before), I then take off the mask and gloves. I change clothes and take a shower. A shower might not be necessary, but I take the extra precaution instead of just cleaning up, plus the ick factor makes me want to take a shower.

Now that I have a puppy, I use two plastic bags encase one has a hole in it topick up his little presents and then wash my hands outside with the garden hose and soap. I also had birds post transplant, baby canares that we hand fed and kept in my room. I wore a mask and gloves then to change the cage. I did not have a problem with that either, but maybe if I had my parrot still I may have due to the dust from her feathers.

So the idea is to take as much precaution as posible to not inhale dust particle and then to wash them off anywhere they may have come close to you so it does not rub into your eyes, nose, or mouth, and possible opes wounds.

Haven't seen he litter robot though, but I'd say precauiton is still needed.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »

I suppose you can never take too many precautions with this kind of thing. Better to be safe than sorry hey Chris?

When my eye condition started and all that the docs tested me for all those litter/animal related diseases, and I was negative. We talked about my kitty, litter etc and really was pretty much ruled out anyway (but the tests were done and all were negative anyway)

I'll try and find my folder and post exactly what it says.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »