I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  So here are the questions I have so far for my PTH surgery consult tomorrow.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So here are the questions I have so far for my PTH surgery consult tomorrow.  (Read 2335 times)
karen547

« on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »

How long is the surgery?
How invasive? Scarring?
Recovery?
Will I be able to stop my Sensipar right away?
How soon can I have the surgery?? (I'm in quite a bit of pain, and need to get back to school asap.)
Can the glands grow back?

So do you guys think I should ask anything else?? Thanks!!  :flower;

Dianejt

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »

You might want to ask what would the worst complication from this surgery be. I am reading a book "How Doctors Think" and they suggest you ask that question so the surgeon would think about every worst case senerial could be.

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »

You may want to ask what is hungry bone syndrome and how will your post-op care plan meet the challenge.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »

Ask how long you will be in the hospital and what is the criteria for release (as Zach mentioned, hungry bones)

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

The problem is that it is hard to ask about the unknown... because you dont know what needs asking.  (apart from the suggestions from people here who may have been there...)  So try asking what patients tend to be not expecting about the surgery.  I asked that, before my husband's knee surgery and he went into a whole set of extra descriptions about recovery.

Ask if he is doing the surgery or a sidekick?

Ask if there are likely to be any common complications and what he would do about them. 

Ask for a copy of your signed consent form so that you can refer back to it later.

Ask how you could prepare for surgery (throat lozenges if they stick a tube down your throat, toothbrush if your going in overnight, loose dress if its abdominal ... I don't even know where PTH surgery is located [blush])

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58:27 AM »

Well i can answer one of them for you ..yes they do grow back , how long it takes i dont know though.

natnnat ..PTH is done on your neck  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Red from Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:28:37 AM »

I just had the surgery 2 months ago.  The scar is gone and I now feel much better.  They are following up because they are checking my calcium levels twice a week through blood tests and adjusting Caltrate and rocaltrol(vitamin D) accordingly.  I was in for 9 days, but had other problems.  Most are not in that long.  The calcium levels take a few months to come back to normal, but you will notice an improvement in how you feel almost immediately.  I had severe bone pain and it is GONE.  Good luck to you.
karen547

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

KS, You are wrong, they dont grow back, I asked the surgeon that myself. I will be in for about 2 weeks, I am probably having the surgery next week and feel much better meeting with the surgeon and NP. I am so ready to not be so sore!
Zog

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

Jenn had this surgery in January.

The surgery took about 2 hours.

She has a 2 1/2" long scar on her neck.  It isn't very wide and not very noticeable.

She was walking around the next day.  Stayed in the hospital about a week waiting for her calcium to stabilize.  HUNGRY BONES! Calcium!  Nom Nom Nom!

She stopped taking Sensipar immediately and now she only takes calcium.  PTH has a half life of only a few minutes, so once the glands are gone the PTH goes away immediately.  They test your PTH during the surgery to know how much to cut out.

I think the surgery would help your pain so I don't think that would delay the surgery.

She has one quarter of one of the glands left.  They don't grow back if they are removed, BUT you have to keep some or part of one.  You have to keep some glands or part of a gland in order for your body to regulate calcium.  The remaining gland(s) can grow larger just like the removed ones did.  You can have repeat surgeries to whack off more of the gland if you don't watch your phosphorus. 

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »

Yeah this must be what they meant about it growing back , they leave one third of the gland.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
karen547

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:27:52 AM »

Yeah. They leave some in to regulate your level.
noahvale
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:06 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:26:35 AM by noahvale » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »