I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:34:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone have insight or personal progress?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone have insight or personal progress?  (Read 1625 times)
Nancy

One of many caregivers to my Dad.

« on: June 22, 2010, 06:24:54 PM »

My dad has been on D for 6 weeks now and were slowly figuring this new life style out.
They reduced him to 2 1/2 hours instead 3 today. He goes 3 times a week.
Were wondering if he would be able to reduce this to 2 times aweek if his kidneys stated to improve. Does anyone have insight?

Edited: Moved to proper section - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:03:20 AM by okarol » Logged

Nancy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »

Anything is possible.  We have a member on here who improved to the point that she was able to get off D entirely. It's pretty rare, though.  There are a few people on here only on 2 days a week, too. 

Watch his lab values, and keep an eye on how he feels.  Clinics are required to keep patients at certain clearance levels for proper payment from Medicare.  Unfortunately, the required levels are quite a bit below what dialysis is capable of doing, and below what most of us need to feel really good.  An extra half an hour saved 3 days a week may just be lost the rest of the week when he is too ill to do anything he actually wants to do.  If he has energy at his current time, then stick with it.  If he doesn't, demand he be put back on 3 hours, or more if necessary.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »

My dad has been on D for 6 weeks now and were slowly figuring this new life style out.
They reduced him to 2 1/2 hours instead 3 today. He goes 3 times a week.
Were wondering if he would be able to reduce this to 2 times aweek if his kidneys stated to improve. Does anyone have insight?
The studies I have seen suggest that the more dialysis you get, the better off you are.  Remember that healthy kidneys are "dialyzing" the healthy person 24 hours a day, 7 days a week--100% of his life.  Hemodialysis for 9 hours a week is just 5% of your life. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »