I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  For anybody with a fistula on HD.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For anybody with a fistula on HD.....  (Read 2782 times)
Phil

What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

« on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:19 PM »

Ok so I'm about to start HD..and the only real question that I have is how painfull the needles are....so...eventhough I understand that its different for everybody..i would like an average opinion.....if lets say on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is your regular blood test (small pinch) pain, and 10 is cutting your leg-off without anaestetic pain...where would you put HD needles???? (Bear in mind that I think in Italy they dont use any sorts of creams or spray to numb you down).

1993 - Diagnosed with Alport Sindrome
April 2010 - Fistula surgery on right forearm
May 2010 - Started HD
Still waiting for the call!!!!!
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:55:02 AM »

I can honestly say that I still cry or tear up everytime they stick me as my second stick goes rigth through nerves and because my fistula is so young it is still deep. So they dig through mussle to get to it. MINE IS VERY PAINFULL. They say that as you stick it lots you develop scartissue and the "hurt" gets better.   

I don't know when that is going to happen.

But again I can handle the pain from kidney stones and infections but not the needles - so I really don't know what to tell you.

Get EMLA cream  - it numbs the skin for a few minutes only, but it helps   

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:34:01 AM »

my first treatment I had locals and that was OK. the second one I went with no local (I know many of them are bad) and look the pain was there, but in reality it was no worse(for me) than getting a regular blood draw or something. Also note that over time as the fistula matures and hardens up the needles will hurt much less. most of the time I just feel the pressure of the needles rather than pain. Yeah sometimes they might touch the wall and that hurts a bit, but that's a different issue, and you can tell anyway. In general while I *never* watch them sticking me, I don't really worry about pain or anything. Sometimes there's some of course, but it's really not a big deal for me.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »

I don't want to frighten you, but personally it is very painful.  I was on immunosuppressives for a total of twenty years with two transplants, so my resistence to pain has been altered.  The lidocaine burns every time, but its more tolerable than the fifteen gauge needles.

I wish it didn't hurt.  I wish I was a masochist.  I wish it wouldn't burn for the entire treatment.

I wish you nothing but pain free Dialysis.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:43:54 AM »

I'm surprised that hemodialysis is done anywhere without at least offering the patient a topical anesthetic.

But I've done hemodialysis without any topical anesthetics, and on a scale from 1 to 10, I would give the needle sticks about a 4.  I sure feel it, but it's easily tolerable.

Have you considered meditation?  I have found meditation to be a great way to let the pain just pass through you without bothering you much.

I've had a few fistula surgeries.  In one surgery, the nerve block they had injected into me accidentally missed the nerves, so it didn't numb the pain anywhere as much as it was supposed to.  Rather than delay the surgery, I opted to go ahead with it as is.  The surgical team was stunned that with meditation, I could tolerate the pain of surgery without a full dose of anesthetic!  On a scale from 1 to 10, that pain was an 8.  I could actually feel the surgeon's knife cutting through tissues, etc.  But I just let the pain flow around me.

They kept asking me "How are you doing?"  I kept telling them to shut up because their questions were disturbing my meditative consciousness.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »

I would be moving from Italy!

???

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:45:54 AM »

I think I would grade my pain as a '6'.  However, if the spot is used for a bit, then the pain is a '3'.    An absolutely new spot is definitely an '8'!!  I used to get lidocaine, but that itself was a bit painful at first, so after a time I took the needles without it.  I still flinch and am sometimes told that I shake my arm.  Like RichardMel, I definitely look away.
[I don't have a fistula, but a graft.  I think the initial pain is the same, anyway]

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pam

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »

I've been on D for a year. The first 3 months I used the cream and the pain was 0. I now have buttonholes and there is no pain. Sometimes if I have a different tech, that doesn't happen very offten, there will be some pressure. Sometimes they really have to push hard to get those blunt needles in. Tell them you want their best tech to stick you. At my unit only the most experienced techs are allowed to stick new fistulas. Good luck!
Pam
totosidney

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »

I have had a couple grafts and a fistula over the past 15 years. I just started with a new graft. I stick myself. Sometimes it hurts a bunch and sometimes it is totally effortless. Over a period of time nerves are completely killed off and then there is virtually no pain. If you use a numbing agent it will always cause extra stinging. I think getting past the pain issue is important as it is a constant of hemodialysis life. Learning to stick yourself is an interesting experience and can be helpful with the pain for some folks. 
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »

I use a numbing cream but I still feel kind of a pinch when they insert the needles, it's not that bad though, I would give it a three at most. They have to use a tourniquet right now and I think that thing hurts more than anything.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

When Gregory started, he says they hurt more, then they settled down.  He used to stick himself. 
He puts it at about three.  ( I love your pain scale)   

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

I'd say about a 2 to a 3 for me. You are right it gets better over time.
As far as burning during treatment, that is not right and you need to notify your team if that happens.
You can get creams that you rub on so you don't have to inject a local.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
chiefsfan301

Fish, Duck Hunt, Fish, DuckHunt, Golf and Football

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

I will have my 100th treatment this Friday, I have upper arm fistula and I would rate the stick about a 1 - many time I don't feel it.

IGA 1994
Fistula August 2009
Dialysis October 2009
Approved for Transplant January 2010
Turned down ECK kidney January 2011
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »