I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  long-term dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: long-term dialysis  (Read 5664 times)
kevno

« on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »

well just past my 22nd year back on dialysis. The 21st year was one of the those years where I had very little done to me. Lets hope this year is the same. 26th May 1988 is the day I had to go back on dialysis. My Transplant lasted nearly six years. Then there was the five years on dialysis has a child :'( just one long nightmare, six hours three times a week, keel kidney 5ft long, 2ft wide and 1ft deep. Had my own socket set to make my kidney up. started on dialysis at the age of ten. Transplanted at 15 years back on at 21years old.

I do know a few long term renal patient, it seems to me it is the way you can handle all the things that get in front of you. You have no choice but to keep going. I have spoken to a few new patients. I know they find it hard. So little to drink the diet the operations (fistula or Tube for CAPD) I have no real idea how they feel. Thats why i have tried to, not help them, try to understand what it is like for a new patient. Plus of course told them to come to this site.

I do not want this topic just to be about me. How do you feel about dialysis? I know dialysis takes over your all life if you let it!   It once did for me when on CAPD changing those bags 4 times a days. I know I have zero chance of a transplant, So here's to the next 22 years  :beer1;

I suppose the title of this topic was a bit miss leading, But it is me Kevno ;D

Yours always

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »

Cheers from one long-term dialysis patient to another!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kevno

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:07:11 PM »

Hi Zack

I have got to admit dialysis is a lot easier now in the 21st century than it was in the 70s/80s the kidneys where less efficient in those days. So has a child of ten I had to spend 6 hours on the machine it was a Lucas machine with a keel kidney. Being held down with the nurses, my arm strapped to a board. Nowadays they can not do such cruel things to a child. But in the 70s it was anything goes to keep you alive. I had the transplanted kidney for nearly six years. Never felt well with it, i was told from the start it was going to fail. Now the way I feel about a transplant. It is just another form of treatment. Some are more lucky than others. Not to bitter, just know now this is my live. A machine 3 times a week. Plus I try to make the best of the time I have off the machine and out off hospital. My attitude as changed over the years. Just take each year in its turn.   
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:11:51 PM by kevno » Logged

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »

Hiya Kevno, I'm a former dialysis kid, but can only imagine how rough it must have been to be on the machine for that many years as a child. I hate dialysis, and I was only on for about a month. I got extremely lucky and had a transplant that lasted 34 years in 1976. I used a shunt (had a fistula built, but it was never used).

I'll toast your next 22 years, and the 22 after that! :beer1;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
kevno

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:59 PM »

started dialysis in early 77 had a loop shunt formed, a vein from my leg grafted into my arm. In the 70's a fistula  was called a shunt. Now a shunt means different things. They did try to save my one kidney from 72 but it was too badly damaged from reflux.

cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »

I did not have kidney failure as a kid but my kidneys became very weak at age 32.  My blood pressure was so high it damaged most of my veins causing my kidneys to be very weak.  I’ve been on D for 11 years now.   Sometimes, I can’t believe I’ve made it this far.  However, I’m very blessed that I am still doing well.  I thank God who deserves all the glory and honor that nothing bad really developed.  I’m praying that God will allow me to live at least 50 years longer according to His will.   

Although, I don’t like D, I am happy that I am able to get the help my kidneys need.   Without it, I would not be here.  It’s hard seeing people receiving kidneys (although I’m very happy for them) knowing that I will be on D for the rest of my life.   I try everyday to think positive as I will do positive things.  I’m doing well on D so I really can’t explain but most of the times I wish I was not on it.   

Anyhoo, I have my friends and family for support.  Also, I’m always trying to live to the best of my ability.     :2thumbsup;

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »

:beer1;  Cheers Kevno! 

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »

:o Wow that's a lot of dialysis!

I have added you to the "What is the longest a patient has survived on dialysis?" thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=9672.0

Best wishes for many more years! Thanks for the update. We miss you around here!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »

KEVNO!! So good to see you my friend!   :bandance; Here to the next 22 years!!   :beer1;

I am so glad you had a good year, without a lot of procedures, maybe I will help you wish for this one to be uneventful as well. Unless its a good event of course! :flower;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
kevno

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

I always keep looking on the site, maybe not has much to say nowadays ;D Glad to see the two granny's of the site are still posting Rerun and kitkatz :sos; to late :Kit n Stik; 

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

I'm 26 and went on dialysis May 20, 2009. So it's all still kind of young for me, but I'm on the list!
I have my ups and downs, but I try to follow my diet and stuff so I feel the best I'm able to.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:16 PM »

I am behind you Kevno and Zach at 11 years - six months.  But from one long lasting dialysis patient to my heroes.  :beer1; :beer1;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »

I love to hear about people living long on dialysis!  Give me hope!!!   I salute of all you perserverers  :bow;  and down the line, I plan to be in your group.  Now I have only 5 years so far.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »

How long is a long term renal patient! I remember when i went back on dialysis when my transplant failed. Every phone call used to jump up and my heart would start pounding until i could hear who was on the other end of the phone. Now nothing, I know it is not a transplant. Now all I have is this Machine. Over the years being back on dialysis I have lost so many friends. It gets so painful, I did start to try to distance  myself from renal patients, it was getting to hard to cope. Used to get to the unit just in time to say good morning and that was all. Then straight on the machine. Now I have started talking to the patients on the unit again. Plus starting to get to know them again. I have no idea which is best way. I know some will die and have died. But I do not have the feelings that i used to have when a close renal friend died.

Is this what makes a long term dialysis patient. You lose so much you get used to it?  ???

Barbara Schickedanz

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:29:05 AM »

:waving;
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.  I HAVE BEEN ON DIALYSIS FOR ONE YEAR.  I GO 3 TIMES  A WEEK, 3 1/2 HRS A DAY.  I STILL HAVE ONE KIDNEY BUT IT DOES NOT FUNCTION AT FULL CAPACITY.  I NOT ONLY AM ON DIALYSIS, BUT I AM A CANCER PATIENT FOR 11 YEARS, STILL GET CHEMO EVERY OTHER WEEK, AND EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT DIABETIC I LOST MY LEG JUST BELOW THE KNEE THIS PAST OCTOBER 2009.  AS YOU CAN SEE I AM NOT AND WILL NEVER BE A CANDIDATE FOR A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT, SO HOPEFULLY, I WILL BE ON DIALYSIS
FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS.  I HATE 3 1/2 HRS BUT I GUESS IT OS BETTER THAN 4.
BARB SCHICKEDANZ

Edited: Fixed smiley error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:37:27 AM by okarol » Logged

my name is Barb and I am a dialysis victim since January 2009.  I was doing some searching and came across this program and decided I needed some place to vent and find others who vent also.  I am a dialysis member due to losing my fight kidney from stag horn stones and also carcinoid tumors that metasized to liver.  Diagnosed in 1999 and left kidney got too tired in 2009.  I am NOT diabetic but a lot of my symptoms come across as diabetic.  I lost my leg below knee on 10/23/2009 due to vascular artery disease.  doctors should have known there was a problem when 4 fistulas did not work in left
arm!  This past week I had a Hero put in  right arm.  Hopefully this
will work.  This is a brief summary of my life with dialysis.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:28 AM »

WOW  22 years on dialysis!!  My hubby is a little behind at 13 years!!  Hopefully you will have many more years of dialysis!!  A good attitude goes a long way!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
kevno

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »

Zach still has me by one year :bow; 22 years back on plus 5 nasty years in the 70's. What I can remember of it. Ten years old given Valium ::) To calm me down before I had the needles :(  Nearly forgot 6 years with a transplant. So its 33 years dealing with HEMO/CAPD/TRANSPLANT/CAPD/HEMO  ;D

Meinuk

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »

Kevno, you and Zach are the leaders in this marathon that we are all running. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you.  You give us all hope and inspiration, and that is 90% of the battle.

:-*

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »