I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 06:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Why prescription drugs are not taken by patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why prescription drugs are not taken by patients  (Read 1477 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 01, 2010, 09:43:13 AM »

Why prescription drugs are not taken by patients

June 1, 2010 at 9:27 am

How many patients actually take the prescription drugs that their doctors prescribe them?

Less than you think.

Pauline Chen, in a recent New York Times’ column, discusses the worrisome issue of medication noncompliance.

And the numbers are stark. According to the data, “as many as half of all patients did not follow their doctors’ advice when it came to medications,” and, “more than 20 percent of first-time patient prescriptions were never filled.”

There are costs, of course. Patients who fail to take medications to treat their high blood pressure or diabetes are more likely to suffer complications and have a lower mortality rate. And data from comparative effectiveness studies and efforts from evidence based care will be rendered useless if patients don’t take their prescribed drugs.

Dr. Chen looks at some of the reasons why this is happen. And it comes down to one major reason — accessibility.

Apparently, the process of taking a prescription, driving to a pharmacy and waiting for it to be filled or faxed in is a huge barrier.

One solution would be to have a pharmacy in the physician’s office where patients can pick up their medication on the way out. Large, integrated health systems, like Kaiser in California, do this, lowering their noncompliance rate to around 5%.

We need to do a better job getting patients to take their medications, especially for chronic health conditions. Cost is one factor, but the growing array of generic drugs is making this less of an issue.

Convenience is key to compliance, and that’s something we need to better focus on if we want patients to follow our instructions.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/06/prescription-drugs-patients.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »

Yes, yes, yes, cost is a lot of it. I am very compliant in taking my meds. However, I do know some people who are not. We are very blessed to have a pharmacy very close to us, who is not only super efficient, he compounds prescriptions and also, are you sitting down, will deliver if needed. To a lot of people, just getting to the pharmacy is daunting, let alone finding a parking space and then standing in line, only to be told that the Dr. did not order a refill is enough to make them give up.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »

I get all of my meds via a mail-order service because my HMO makes it more advantageous to do it this way (for long-term meds).  I order refills online and don't ever have to go to the pharmacy unless my neph puts me on something new and I need to have it right away.  But not everyone has internet access, so this isn't a complete solution.  The cost is so high...I take generics for just about everything, but it is still expensive, and that's with decent insurance coverage.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:22 AM »

I looked up the original article from the NYT and all it seems to say is that 20% of people don't fill first-time prescriptions. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/health/20chen.html?ref=health

This is telling us nothing about nonadherence. I know I have not filled prescriptions before, for a variety of reasons, including I simply disagree with the doctor about whether I actually need it. I don't know how they are defining "first-time prescription" either. First time from that particular doctor, or first time in your life? Because often when I go to a new doctor I will already have that prescription sitting at home from some other doctor, and will just take it from my supply. Nonadherence is notoriously difficult to study, because you must define what you mean by that. Not filling a prescription is an extreme case, what about not taking meds once a month?

The Kaiser scenario I find misleading. They have a greater fill rate, but that does not mean the patients are actually taking the meds, just that they are paying for them. I have filled prescriptions and never taken the meds, or tried one and had a horrible reaction. (My GP will give samples when he has them so we don't waste dosh on a potential failure.)

I don't find going to the pharmacy that much of a hardship, but I have always lived in metro areas. All my meds are overnighted from Chicago right now, so that's stupidly easy. In LA, I lived right across the street from two pharmacies - inconvenience was never an excuse I could use.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »

I use a mail order for my maintenance perscriptions, I must say it is hard for me to get mine because I'm blind and have hard times finding people to take me to pick them up.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:40:28 AM »

I would like to see a study that plots the percentage of compliance against the number of prescribed meds per patient.

I am now on some twenty different meds and dietary supplements for my ESRD and other health problems, of which over fifteen I have to take orally.  Not all at once, but spaced throughout the day:  Some before breakfast, the phosphorus binders with every meal, some in between meals, and a couple at bedtime. 

With that many meds and that kind of schedule, it's real easy to forget to take one.

I use Microsoft Outlook to remind me--and those reminders go off all throughout my day. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »