I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can I Do It All?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I Do It All?  (Read 2288 times)
Beth35

« on: June 09, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »

I'm about to start my second stint on dialysis.  I was on dialysis for about five years the first time and my transplant has lasted a little over eleven years.  Things have changed drastically in my life since the first time around. 

After my transplant, my boyfriend of eight years dumped me and I had a hard time finding someone after that so I adopted two children on my own.  Well, now that my kidney is failing, I am a single mom to a four and a five year old.

I am starting to worry about whether I can do it all.  I read this board and hear of people who have to take care of their spouses and I have no one to take care of me and in fact, I have two little people I have to take care of. 

I was not able to work on dialysis the first time as I tried for a bit.  But I was able to take college classes and graduate with honors.  I drove myself to dialysis, although I was weak many times.  My kids will be attending summer camp during the summer and they will go to school all day during the week so I will have time to rest then.  I don't have any family that lives close to me.  Do you think I will be able to do it?  Will I be able to clean the house and do the laundry and stuff?  I'm trying not to get stressed out but it's kind of nerve wracking.

I am also thinking of getting some type of lifeline necklace that I can push if I'm ever in trouble and need help.  I hate to think about it but I want my kids to know what to do if something should happen to me. 

Are there any other single parents here who do dialysis?  At this point in time,  my dad has come to do the lawn work.  I will have to hire someone eventually but I have yet to be approved for disability.  There just seems like so much to do.

Any advice?  Sometimes I just feel so alone.  I keep my feelings to myself because I don't want to cause any stress on my family members. 

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:14:17 PM »

Beth, i am so sorry to hear of your situation. And the fact you don't want to burden family members is heartbreaking. After everything you have been through.. what an amazing person you are.

I wish you all the best, i wish i could give out advice to soothe your worries, but i'm afraid i can't say anything but i urge you to share your pain with your family. Family, afterall, are family, and that sounds like exactly what you need right now

:grouphug;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »

I think you CAN do it, Beth, but can certainly relate to your fears. I had many of the same fears when my husband donated his kidney to me. Since we were both out of commission for quite some time, we struggled with the logistics. Yours will be much trickier, obviously, but I would suggest doing what we did, and be very open with the people around you about what is happening in your life. I have been overwhelmed by the displays of compassion from people that I barely knew before this experience started.

Like you, we have our children (4 and 7) in school full-time. We told their teachers about our situation since it was probably affecting their behaviour. In the early days of my decline, my husband had to leave me alone with both kids (one was a newborn) for weeks at a stretch due to work commitments. I absolutely told my older son what to do in case of emergency. I don't know that he was able to absorb it all, but we practiced dialing '911' with the phone turned off, and I repeatedly told him that he could always go to our neighbors for help, no matter what time of day or night. We hardly knew the neighbors, but did know that they had young grandchildren and were decent people who would not turn away a child in distress.

What really saved us, though, was talking to the parents of my older son's friends. The school where we send the kids is really a strong community, and the response to our hour(s) of need was deeply moving. You must have emergency contacts for the school in case your kids have an issue and you cannot be reached? Would those people be willing to help you in case of emergency after hours? Also, I know it's expensive, but be sure to research options in your area, such as emergency 24-hour daycare (we have this here, though I am very grateful it never came to that with us) and any other resources that your dialysis social worker can find. Go for the lifeline necklace if it will help bring you peace.

As for house cleaning, go easy on yourself. Get the necessities done first as best you can, and then do any extra you can manage. I find starting the hardest part - once i get into a groove, I'm alright.

You seem like such a strong person - adopting children on your own? That is huge! Good luck.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »

I'm single with two dogs (not the same I know), but get to know your neighbors.  It is really good for other people to help.  Don't take advantage, but if you have to go to dialysis and your kid is home sick you may need the old lady across the street, or down the block.  When I didn't have family around my neighbors kicked in bless their hearts.  It is still not like family.... but~       Now that I'm on disability I try and help my neighbors....even if it is just pulling up their garbage cans after the truck leaves.

:flower;

st789

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

Many of us are in similar situation here so you are not alone.  Neighbor suggestion sounds like good.  Take one step as a time.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »

You'll do it because you know you have to.  Do your best and let the rest go.  You don't need a perfect house and even young children can pitch in a little.  Planning for time to rest is a good idea.  I'm not a parent but my 13 yr old niece is moving in with me for the summer.  I wear a MedicAlert bracelet and I've talked to her about making sure the EMTs call the number if I'm ill.  I like MedicAlert because it allows you to have all your meds listed plus family and doctor contacts and it doesn't cost too much.  You're a brave woman and I'm thoroughly impressed that you were willing to adopt those kids and take care of them.  Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends.
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »

What about hiring like a live in nanny to help with the kids and maybe around the house a bit?

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »

Beth I have  a friend who is around the same age as us, she has one child (I think she's 9 right now) an was single for a long time when she started D (she has a steady guy now, in fact I think they're engaged). The point is she was able to do it all. She was doing in-center D, looking after her girl(who grew up quickly!) and working a few casual shifts in a department store a week to help pay the bills. She lived on her own with her daughter. Yes, she had a bit of help from her mother in terms of picking up the girl from school on D days, but other than that she mostly did it on her own.

I think it is possible for sure. :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »

You can!!! Sometimes  you may have to let a few things slide, here and there. But, you can do it. 

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

Im alone too ..no kids ..well mine are 4 legged and mean as much to me ! Firstly dont be superwoman ! Do the basics , leave what you can. As long as you and the children are eating , have clean clothes etc , the rest can wait. Do a small task , then sit for a while , then do another. Dont try and do it all in one go or one day. Sleep whenever you get chance! An hour in the afternoon can boost your energy to see you through till night time.  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »

Great advice Kickstart. Try to find ways to be more efficient. Pace yourself. Take on the mountain one step at a time. Remember that feeling overwhelmed is worse than being overloaded. Slow and steady wins the race. It may be hard, but if you can find ways to enjoy the housework you will have more energy. It won't be easy. I will pray for you; and if you don't believe in God, then I wish you good luck as well.  :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »