I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Angiogram
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Angiogram  (Read 4720 times)
Jean
Member for Life

« on: June 13, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »

I did research this, but can't find the answer. I am in stage 4, and on Monday am going in to see the Cardio guy for either a stress test or an angiogram. So, my question is, is it the angiogram dye that kills off your kidney function? Will I have the choice of which one I get to do, the angiogram or the stress test? Even tho I did have one heart attack, I only saw cardio once, for surgery clearance, so I am very new to this field
As always, thanks ahead of time for your input.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:53:24 AM »

Yes, the contrast dye killed off my kidneys.  But, if you can still drink 8-10 glasses of water and wash it out that would be great.  I was already on dialysis and peeing but after that I stopped peeing.

Maybe they have new dye by now?

Take the stress test over the heart cath.

iketchum

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:55:42 AM »

I recently had a cat scan where they used the contrast dye. My neph said they would dialyse it out right afterwards when I had my treatment.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »

The angiogram contrast dye can be nephrotoxic.  There is about a 3% chance that it will destroy your remaining residual kidney function.

This risk can be reduced by taking oral N-acetylcysteine (NAC) before being injected with the dye, and/or by having a dialysis treatment immediately after the angiogram to dialyze out that dye.  (The sooner you get that dye out of your bloodstream, the better.)

If I were having an angiogram, that's what I would do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »

But Right Side, since Jean is not already on dialysis, don't you think that if she has a choice, she should stay away from an angiogram?

Jean, I just had a chemical stress test as part of my pre-transplant protocol, and the contrast they use is safe for your kidneys (I am Stage 4, too, so believe me, I checked this out carefully and was assured of its safety.).  So if they are giving you the choice between an angiogram and the same type of chemical (adenosine) stress test I had, take the stress test.  Ask lots of questions and don't do anything until you are sure it is safe.  No test is worth compromising your kidney function if you are still pre-dialysis.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »

When I had my pre transplant work up, they had to do both tests on me.  That was before I started D.  The chemical stress test wasn't hard on me, (well, maybe for like 30 seconds).  The angiogram was a little more in depth and long and they did use dye.  Just make sure they know how far along you are.  Hang in there.

:) :waving;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »

I guess if you have a history of heart attacks like Jean does, they may make you have an angiogram.  Difficult decision to make, but unless you MUST have the angio in order to get onto the transplant list, I'd make sure that this procedure is really necessary.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »

But Right Side, since Jean is not already on dialysis, don't you think that if she has a choice, she should stay away from an angiogram?
Well, sure.  You should stay away from any tests you don't really need.  (I've also got chronic sinusitis, and I've had so many sinus CT scans that my brain is probably glowing in the dark by now.)

But if her doctor really believes that she needs it, then there are ways to reduce risk.  She should telephone her radiologist and insist on taking steps to reduce risk before having the angiogram.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your help. Had my appt today and another EKG, now on to an Echocardiagram and then the nuclear stress test. Three cheers for my new Doc, saying, we wont do an angio unless there is no other way around it, cos you have kidney disease. I was impressed with her.
Thanks Again

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »

That's great, Jean!  I'm so glad that your doc isn't overly aggressive.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »

Good for your doctor for making that decision.   I had an EKG and Echocardiogram yesterday and the nuclear stress test once every year for the past three years.   I didn't mind it.  I know some find it uncomfortable, but I just want to get it done.   I hope you do well during yours.   No one mentioned anything about doing one this year ---and I am NOT going to remind them.    Shhhhh - don't say a word to the transplant center    :rofl;     Good luck, Jean.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

Thanks Paris. Did I mention the cardio Dr put me on a 24 hour nitro pill? Said I would feel better immediately. Nope, didnt happen. But, anyways, where do I contact the transplant team, so I can squeal on Paris!!!!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »

Jean!!!!   I thought we were friends!!!!     :rofl;     

Let us know how the tests go.  You know I will be thinking of you.     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »

We are friends Paris, that is why Ilike teasing you so much. I will let you know about the tests. Oddly enough, 3 of my friends here have to have the nuclear stress test and it is being delayed as they say they have none of the chemical available. We all happen to have the same Dr., so , who knows how long this will take? The Echo is scheduled for June 13th tho.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »