I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 09:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I went to see the Opthalmologist today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I went to see the Opthalmologist today  (Read 1738 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

After years of not having to wear glasses or contacts because my eyes "corrected", I am now in need of some ocular assistance  :rofl;  However I have found out that I will only need the glasses (bifocals BTW!!!!!!) in certain situations (driving, watching TV, reading, etc.)  I have one eye that is near sighted and the other is far, but neither are severe.  I can see great most days without glasses, but occasionally my eyes get tired and I need some assistance.  Plus, glasses are cool looking.  :)

I am guessing the change is due to the Prednisone use, but my doctor said probably that, as well as being 42.  I opted out of contacts this time, as I want to minimize all that contact with my eyes to avoid infections.

Any other transplant recipients switch to glasses permanently?  My eyes aren't bad enough to even consider laser surgery.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

I'm with you - contacts just sound like too much of an infection risk.  I gave mine up ages ago because of the cost, but after a bit of initial vain whinging about having to wear glasses to drive or watch tv, it doesn't bother me at all.  Thankfully, I don't need them for reading or sewing.  There are soooooo many fun styles now, I don't mind having them.  I want a new pair with the invisible wire frames.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »