I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Centers near Austin Texas
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Centers near Austin Texas  (Read 1966 times)
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« on: February 05, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »

Greetings, all. I'm planning to move to Texas in a couple of months and wondered if any one had opinions on Transplant Centers in or near Austin, Texas.  I did a little bit of searching a little while back and it looks like my wait time for a transplant might be half what it is in California. If I'm able to transfer my wait time in California (3 years) it would be a very good thing. And I'm all about the very good things, ya know?  :flower;

Can't wait to get some input...

Michelle

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »

I don't know about in or around Austin, but I do know about San Antonio.  My transplant clinic is good - Christus Santa Rosa.  Methodist Hospital and University Hospital both have great clinics/teams, as well.  Both of those hospitals do more transplant a year than Christus, but Christus is very picky about their live donors, which isn't a bad thing necessarilyl.  They have their problems, but overall I was very satisfied with my care pre and post surgery.

I was told the average wait time in San Antonio is about 5 years and I think they said Dallas was 4.  I'm not sure about Austin, but I do love Austin.  Are you going to college there?

Welcome to Texas!   (a little early)   :beer1;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »

Hi, Kelly...sorry to take so long to respond. It's been a rollercoaster  since I posted in February.

No, I'm not moving to attend college, per se. There's always the danger I will enroll in classes, though. I am finishing up my master's in library and information science in California right now, but the Library program at UT looks interesting and I might try to take some classes there-- depending on what kind of dialysis I end up doing after I move or whether I go ahead and try for another transplant.

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »

I don't know if the wait time for transplant is shorter in relation to the way people drive in Austin, but if it is you better hurry to Austin.  Good Luck.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »

Texas in general has horrible drivers, Sluff!   :rofl;   But the traffice in Austin is horrible, I must say.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »

The traffic in Austin is a cakewalk compared to the San Francisco  Bay Area....but the drivers are much worse in Austin. Luckily, I drive against traffic to get to the clinic in south Austin.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »