I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone Approached for a Research Study?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone Approached for a Research Study?  (Read 2066 times)
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »

A few weeks ago one of the nurses approached me about participating in a National Study to determine if Dialysis six days a week for two hours would be more beneficial and less stressful on the body than three days a week for three to four hours.

The preliminary tests have involved the following:

1) MRI

They paid $75 to take part which was pretty cool.  I have to undergo another one in four months.

2) Portable EKG

I've been hooked up to so many wires over the years, I forgot it was taped to me after an hour.

3) Mental & Physical Exercises

These were simple and almost insulting, but I guess if I were older and more feeble they could be considered difficult.  They test you again at the end of the study.

Once all the preliminary tests are done you are randomized into the Control or Variable Group.  I find out next week if I'm 3 days or 6.

I participated for the following reasons:

1) The extra cash.  They also pay extra for travel time if you're six days a week.
2) Regardless of the schedule, I FINALLY get to go back to nights which the Schedule Nazi wouldn't place me on.
3) I've heard great things about patients on six days a week.  More energy, less side effects.

Has anyone else been approached about a research study?

Stacy Without An E

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:14:35 PM »

No research offers here - but I was wondering who was doing your study?  National Study by whom?  Is it a government study?

Are they using NXstage or another model?

Just curious!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 10:01:21 PM »

Great opportunity.  Keep us posted on how it goes.   :beer1;

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 04:07:11 AM »

I have been involved in a study for the past 3 or so years - in fact I believe it is about to be finished - for me anyway.

Anyway the study is worldwide I think. Run by some people in New Zealand I believe.  It's called the IDEAL study and is all about "what is the IDEAL time to start dialysis?" as in if you start "earlier" or "later" what effects are there on your quality of life, dialysis, health etc. Luckily I was picked to start in the "later" group and finally started dialysis when I was at 6% function. I believe they usually start at about 10%?? Not sure. Anyway it has involved various tests - yearly ECG's and ultrasounds and stuff, and filling in paitent diariies once a month(easy) and a quality of life survey every 3 months. Plus they take the blood test results from dialysis and other labs as well.

It's been a pretty easy study to be part of.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »

Never been approached for a study but did take part in a survey about pricing points of Nephro.  Got $50 for about 20 minutes of questions over the phone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »