I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Prograf levels
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prograf levels  (Read 4496 times)
krfm2003

carebear

« on: March 10, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »

Incase you missed my son's intro here's a small snippet. My son was born two months early with bladder blockage (incomplete urethra) that caused urine to reflux up to his kidneys in utero - destroying them. He received the gift of life at the age of 18 months, nearly two months ago in January. Last week, Matthew got a tummy bug...actually we ALL got a tummy bug (the house just smelled wonderful let me tell you! :P) Well with dehydration and a two pound weight loss - his prograf levels are really high. Last lab on Monday showed they were at 21.2 (they want them around 8 -10) at the moment (he is about 7 weeks out). Last night he was having troubles sleeping - just up and fussing all night long. My gut is telling me it is the prograf. We have clinic and labs tomorrow. I thought about taking him in today, but then thought that they couldn't do anything that I wasn't already doing. Just cut the doses with doctor's orders and see about labs. His creatinine was also up a smidge. That worries me...the toxicity on the kidney. How long can recipients be "toxic" without substantial damage occurring? Anyone have experience with several days of toxic levels and their creatinine returned to their normal levels after the fact?
Thanks for any input!
Karen

Mommy to two incredible little boys, one that just happened to need a kidney at 18 months. It's been a ride - but it's been worth every minute of it. :)

Have you signed your donor card?

Matthew's caringbride site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/fightingmatthew
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »

I would call and see what they can do. When I had higher levels, I felt terrible. His creatinine hopefully will drop when his prograf level comes down. Long term use of Prograf can cause damage to the kidney and tubuals. Prograf damaged my tubuals, I lose too much phosphorous. I take supplements.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »

They used to run my prograf levels high...around 20 as I was having issues with rejection.  My creatinine was also always high along with the prograf.  They settled me in around 16 which still left my creat a bit high.  Now they keep me below 8 and things keep chugging along.  I was also very restless when tac levels were high....because it made me feel all jittery.
Best of luck to your lil guy!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »

Since I am not familiar with children and transplants, not sure if what I'm thinking is the same protocol. I would be on IV fluids to help the kidney when I am that sick to help creatinine. When my Prograf is high and that high, I am very fidgity, tremble like crazy. Not to sure about insomnia, that is constant when I am well.

Hope your son gets well soon along with both of you. I just hate the thought and smell of  :puke;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »

Hey, i do hope it calms down, the poor mite must be feeling to off. My Tac range is between 8-10 but it often goes as high as 16 becuase of the celcept. (apparently having the runs causes your tac levels to go way up for some reason). When my tac is too high i get cold sweats and really shakey and cold burning in the fingers/toes. Chris is right with the IV fluids though, being so young they'd probably put him on IV even if he wasn't transplant patient, when my son had it (at about 18months) his temp spiked and he had fits from it. There is a product called hydralite (not sure of hte US name) but it's designed for kids with gastro bugs and help rehydrate them. Check with the clinic if your son can have them.

Good luck with it, i hope it works out soon.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »