I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  the husband has a question...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the husband has a question...  (Read 4812 times)
VictoriaG

always happy <3

« on: August 13, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »

it's kinda silly but he wonders what would happen if you dialyzed a healthy person. its a good question... kinda  ???
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »

You'd get arrested?

Nah, bloodwise I don't think it would do much, but if they removed fluid it would make the person sick, possibly cramping, nauseated, dizzy, low BP - not good.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:42:02 AM »

lol ifthey were drunk it would make them not drunk :)
I actually wondered this myself, when i first started, because i was having sooo much trouble. I thought FOR SURE they were wrong, and the dialysis was making me sick! lol
Of course, I know that isnt true, but it was a thought.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »

interesting question. Logically if no fluid was taken off, I think nothing much would happen. As I understand it the general process in the dialyzer is that the chemicals in the bicarb solution attract the bad ones(ie: toxins, like potassium, calcium etc) out of the blood as it passes through the membrane which bind with the solution and it's thrown away. If the blood passing through is pretty clear of toxins(because the kidneys are doing their job) then there's nothing to be attracted out of the blood, so it would just pass through. Maybe if you ate a big block of chocolate while on it might help a little....  :rofl;

I do agree trying to take fluid from a healthy person would not be a good idea.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Nephrologista

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »

I have dialyzed people with functioning kidneys to remove certain poisons, such as antifreeze.  You all are correct, we don't remove fluid.  Also, the phosphorus, which is so hard for many dialysis patients to get down, can go dangerously low, so if it's a long dialysis, I will add phosphorus to the dialysate.  And I have the pharmacy mix up a K4 bath so as not to depress the potassium.  IV calcium might also be needed since standard dialysate is a little lower than normal blood values.  But with those tweaks, it does what we need it to do.

Nephrologista
Private practice, USA
Believes in prevention, transplantation, and longer, slower dialysis
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:11 PM »

I have dialyzed people with functioning kidneys to remove certain poisons, such as antifreeze.  You all are correct, we don't remove fluid.  Also, the phosphorus, which is so hard for many dialysis patients to get down, can go dangerously low, so if it's a long dialysis, I will add phosphorus to the dialysate.  And I have the pharmacy mix up a K4 bath so as not to depress the potassium.  IV calcium might also be needed since standard dialysate is a little lower than normal blood values.  But with those tweaks, it does what we need it to do.

That's so cool...it's great having you on IHD!  I really look forward to your participation on so many topics!  Thanks so much for joining!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
mogee

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:13 PM »

I knew a man who was given dialysis experimentally for the treatment of schizophrenia.  I don't think it did a thing for him, except disfigure his arm with a massive pseudoaneurysm.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »