I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Moving the Nxstage Machine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moving the Nxstage Machine  (Read 3469 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:20 AM »

I want to take my machine and go places.....   I was wondering what other are doing for the movement....  I was thinking about a hand truck ( the fold up kind) and building a box to put the machine in...   my center does not have a hard case and they have one soft case but want it return each time after use......  well If I go somewhere every week  that wont work.... hate to just wrap a blanket around it and go...LOL    This would be to be put in a car or RV..... you know to go visit... vacation.... what do the rest of do for travel....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
HubbysPartner

Our first New's Year's together - A new beginning

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »

NxStage has a hard case that you can purchase for travel.  However, we just put the machine on the back seat of our car and secure it with rope.  It works well and it's easy for the two of us to carry.  Depending on how often we travel, we may invest in a case, but for now it works well for us.

Caregiver to husband, Lou, diagnosed 2/2008
4/2009 - Fistula
10/2009 - Started NxStage training
112009 - Finished training; at home with nxstage

Our family - husband, Lou; me, Marge; sons, Marc & Keith; daughter, Liz
Be still and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »

We have a quad cab truck and put it on the floor in back.

We pack all the supplies that can't get cold in the cab part of the truck too, then put the bags of dialysate in big tubs in the bed of the truck.

Kathy, I have a packing list of supplies that also need to go so I don't forget anything. If you PM your e-mail address, I'll sent it to you. Or, I think it's in the document section of the NxStage users forum.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:25 AM »

You are so orgainized....    We love people like you .... :rofl;

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »

We put Marvin's "Hercules" (his NxStage machine) in the back seat, cover it with a thick blanket, and then put the seat belt around it for security!  We pack all the supplies in the trunk with our luggage.  Hop-Sing (my four-legged baby) doesn't like it at all when Hercules travels with us because then he has to give up half of his back seat!!  We also have a folding hand truck for the supplies, but I usually carry Hercules by myself (that bugger is heavy!) to and from the car.  When we get where we're going, it's always nice to have strong help.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:51:14 AM »

Its hard to believe how heavy that little machine is......  I have never had a big problem with weight..... I use to put my 10hp honda kicker motor on my boat all the time...   that weighied 75 lbs too... but seems like the last few years  I have become a weakling....   I can lift it but its hard to carry it around like a purse......LOL

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Harvey Wells

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

The only time I pack the cycler up is when I fly.  On my RV, I strap it on the cabinet that it sits on when I use it.  That's a single fax/printer cabinet and I replaced the casters with heavy duty ones for the weight.  In my car or van I just set it in and if it's in the car, I strap it in with the seat belt/shoulder strap.  The soft sided case is nice with the wheels but it's a bit of pain to load the cycler into it.  I'm looking at a fold up hand truck, that 70lbs can be a challenge - of course most of the time I draft my oldest grandson or my brother's grandson to haul it for me.  Oh the joy of having youngins around to do the heavy lifting.  Both my grandson's love showing me how strong they are....I like that  :2thumbsup;

Survived PD Jan '98 - Jun '98
Survived a transplant Jun '98 - Jan '06 (my wife was my donor)
Survived in-center Jan '06 - Mar '07
I now thrive on SHDD on NxStage 6 days a week since Mar '07
silverhead

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Costco has a fantastic folding hand truck for less than $25, the wheels automatically fold in when the platform is pushed up, the handle retracts down into itself and it has a very small folded "footprint" it says it is good for 150 pounds. I use it quite often to move the supplies around the house (can make 2 trips to move all the saks and saline boxes, instead of multiple trips with 1 box each)......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Zog

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

The machine is very durable.  Just don't drop it!  We pack ours in the trunk of our Mazda 6 along with everything else (mostly luggage and dialysate boxes, actually we unpack the dialysate to save space nowdays...).  Anyway, we give it no special treatment at all.  Just make sure you keep the front handle locked down.  Don't let the sensors on the inside get dusty.

If you break it somehow they can get another one to you within 24 hours.  We have never broke ours, but we have had it replaced 3 or 4 times for some odd "635" machine alarm or pump/fluid calibration problems.  These happened out of the blue, not after a trip.  The machines are all different.  Some have two fans on the bottom.  Some have only one fan on the bottom.  Some have no fans.  Some aren't compatible with the IV pole bracket.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »