I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:12:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Immuno suppressant drugs and pet care
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Immuno suppressant drugs and pet care  (Read 3662 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: April 29, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »

.... anyone have any advice?

I have two dogs, which I have slowly been getting them used to being outdoor dogs. They sleep outside now (which they've never done before in their lives) and I still let them in for a number of hours during the day as I like their company. But my mother thinks that I won't be allowed to have the dogs inside at all. Anyone know?

Also, what about other pet care issues, such as cleaning up dog poop from the back yard? Should I avoid doing jobs like this because of the potential germs?

I also heard someone mention on this forum once that you should not own any birds. I no longer have our bird, but should I be keeping a certain distance from them if I visit people who have them? And what about cats? I have a friend whose has two indoor cats, the place is full of cat stuff - it smells catt-ish, there are litter trays, cat food bowls always sitting out with food etc.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »

I talked with my doc about this a few months ago (when it looked like I might actually get a transplant)... his opinion was that pets are OK you just need to be extra careful with the cleaning up of poop/litter trays etc - so always wear gloves, wash hands right away etc... and it should be OK. Oh he also said that perhaps I shouldn't be doing a lot of kissing of my kitty and stuff... I think in general it is OK though. I couldn't bear to give up my kitty... but I am not sure if I will be in trouble with her sleeping on the bed. I woke up this morning with a warm little ball of furr snuggled against my chest.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »

Oh, I'm not considering giving them up. THAT IS NOT AN OPTION!!  ;D

My dogs are everything.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »

Cycobully,  Karol can explain why you cannot have any birds or be around them for that matter.   You cannot clean cat litter boxes, that i do know also.  Good Luck, now i am going to go leave Karol a pm so she can come and tell you all about the bird ;)   Good luck to ya... :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »

Thanks.

As I said, I no longer have our bird (not sure how it got away, though I suspect the neighbour's cat as the cage was found upside down). But I did used to enjoy going into the bird house at the Adelaide zoo, and watching the macaw free-flight display where you can get in very close proximity to them. Oh well.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:02:05 AM »

We gave away our sweet cockateil when Jenna got her transplant. I miss her so much but that was the main thing a nephrologist insisted on, "No birds!" I think livecam still has a pet bird, and I imagine there are  other people who do too, but apparently there is a high risk of getting a fungal infection from their droppings. Here's a news story from 2000 http://partners.nytimes.com/library/national/science/health/020800hth-animal-fungus.html. The ironic thing is that my mom helped us out by adopting our bird, and right after that I realize that she should not have her either because she had begun chemotherapy (here's where I read that http://www.petplace.com/birds/can-your-bird-make-you-sick/page1.aspx) but she didn't care, and she is happy to have the best bird ever at her house!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:36:46 AM »

You can still have your dogs in the house.  You are already used to their germs.  It might be a good idea to get them checked out for any parasites just in case, and also just in case, I probably wouldn't be on poop-patrol (make someone else do it LOL). 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 05:40:18 AM »

Yeah, I've already got my husband on poop-patrol tbh, but I wanted to check it was justified in case he ever says "can't you do it this time?!" lol.

I've always done it in the past, but in recent times have had him doing it.

We've only got two dogs now, instead of 3 (our old boy having been put to sleep in January 2006), so there's not as much to clean up as when I used to do it.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:24:46 AM »

For more on this subject read:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=558.0

I'm not saying we can't talk about this subject again, but I don't want you to miss anything.

Rerun, Moderator

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »

Thanks for the info.
carson

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 05:44:40 AM »

when I had my transplant in 1982 I had a dog and two cats. Never was there mention of getting rid of my pets. Now I have 2 cats, one dog and my horse. I don't plan on getting rid of them either. As far as the litter box goes, I'd treat it the same way pregnant women must - wear a mask so you don't breathe in any of the dust. If they're not cleaned at least once in 24 hours cat litter can develop little parasites that can make pregnant women sick and probably those of us with compromised immunity. I'm always careful cleaning up dog poops anyway 'cause I hate it!!
My neph told me to get rid of my pets when I started PD in 1997. I told him to get stuffed - would he expect me to get rid of my kids because they might bring something home from school? sheesh!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

Exactly, Lisa - and frankly the kids probably carry more germs because they are exposed to so much at school, day care etc!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »