I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Use of Nextstage with a graft
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use of Nextstage with a graft  (Read 3061 times)
brmoore

« on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »

Hi:
  Is there anyone using Nextstage that has a Graft ? Can you use Nextstage if you have a Graft, and would it be harder than if you
had a regular fistula ?
                             Bruce
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »

I used mine for a year and a half with a graft.  Some fussing from my surgeon, because he thought more frequent dialysis would be worse for a graft.  (More sticks means shorter life span for a graft.)  I didn't care, though, because the other benefits were worth the risk to me.

I never had a real fistula, so I don't know if would be easier or harder.  I don't think there's that much difference in cannulating one versus the other.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Malibu

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »

My husband is using NxStage and he has a graft.  What questions do you have?
brmoore

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

Hi Malibu:
   Was wondering what the life span of a graft would be on Nextstage as you would be cannulating almost daily -
unlike a fistula a graft can't heal itself. How long has youir husband been on Nexstage using graft  ?
                                                                                Thanks: Bruce
Malibu

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »

He has been on dialysis for exactly 8 weeks.  Sorry I don't know the answer.  Everything I've read says the graft should last 3 - 5 yrs. 
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:41:20 PM »

I have a graft and use NxStage. I have been doing it for over a year now and never have an issue. How long your graft last is partly up to you and one reason to do home dialysis. In the center, they stuck me wherever they felt like it. I hope you use all your graft and use the ladder technique. Use all the graft area possible. I look at it like a straw, if you stick the straw in the same area with a nail, the straw will eventually brake. If you stick the nail in all the way up and down the straw, it will last longer. Naturally the straw is your graft and the nail is just that. Crappy needles, they sure feel like a nail sometimes.

I had a fistulagram the other day and asked how much longer my graft is going to last. The doc said, your graft looks so good, it should last for years.

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
M3Riddler

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »

Yes,
You can use NxStage with a Graft. The average life of a Graft is 12 months. Yes they do last longer. It is all individualized. The more you stick, the more puncture sites and scarring you will have.

Dan, thats great that your graft is looking good.  Have you ever had an angio with it? How long have you had it?

///M3Riddler

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

I would think this is a great example to be using the extented treatments options that Nxstage could provide someone with a graft.....   If you could do extent treatments  ( longer time on the machine ) and maybe only do it 5 days a week... two on   one off   three on  one off.... or nocturnal as some do.....( wishing ) then the sticks would be less....and the results would be better..... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »