I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 05:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  questions about EMLA cream and fistulas?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: questions about EMLA cream and fistulas?  (Read 4666 times)
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« on: January 15, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

I'm putting this in one thread, so I don't have to make two threads. haha.

Can you "remove" a fistula? When I had my fistula placed, my surgeon said that if the fistula bothers me like 20 years down the road, it can be removed? I thought he was thinking of a graft? So I was just wondering if you can remove a fistula?

Another thing. Does a fistula look better once you stop using it? Like less bumpy and big? Someone on here, said they heard that, and I was wondering if that was true?

About the EMLA cream, I think I might be alergic to it. When I first started using it, it was fine. But now when I take the wrap off, where the cream was, there's red spots. Do you guys think it's the cream? Or is it maybe the wrap that i'm using?

One more thing. When I take off my gauze and tape, I rip off the scab sometimes. It doesn't bleed. But it hurts. Any tips for when taking off the tape?

Yeah. Lots of questions! I know. I just didn't want to make like 3 threads for each of these questions! haha
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »

The redness (erythema) is not an allergy.  It's an inflammation, a known and fairly common side effect of EMLA cream that reportedly occurs in up to 30% of patients who use it.  I get a little redness myself.  Unless it's giving you significant discomfort, it's probably not worth worrying about.

The tape will come off easier, and the gauze won't stick to the wound, if you soak the entire area in warm water for a few minutes first.

Sorry, I don't have answers for your other questions.

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »

I actually just met someone who had their fistula removed. It was a pretty big scar.  I do not know what happens when you stop using it.  I am sure someone here knows.
Brianna!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

Thanks RightSide! I'm going to try the water thing in a bit, when I take off my gauze.

YLGuy-Where was the scar located? Because I have a pretty big scar on the side of my arm, where they had to move the fistula up to the surface. And do you know why he had his removed?
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »

Middle of the forearm.  They made a fistula because her kidneys were failing and they were preparing her for dialysis.  She never went on dialysis.  I do not know how long she had it for or how big it was before they removed it.  The way she talked about it, it was awhile ago.  She told me that her kidneys were failing again. 
Brianna!

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:54:07 PM »

That sucks, that she got it removed and now she would need it again! I wish I could google that scar to get a picture, but google comes up with some messed up pictures. I was googling "dialysis needles" and a picture of a needle going into an eye came up. Yeah. Not going to do that again. Thanks for the info!
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:54:57 AM »

My husband Marvin has a fistula that he doesn't use anymore; it clotted off a few months after his transplant.  It was in his left wrist area, and he had used it for about 2 years (clotted off around 2000).  Since that time, the "bumps" are less noticeable, but they're still there.  Really, looking at it, the average person wouldn't take much notice of it at all.  Of course, he and I can still tell exactly where it was.  We asked about reversing it, but his surgeon said it would be too complicated and totally unnecessary.

Note:  When Marvin went back on dialysis three years after his transplant, we asked about repairing that same fistula to use again.  No way to do this.  He had to have a totally new fistula made -- same arm just a few inches up from where the old fistula is.

How long are you leaving the creme on?  Sometimes, if Marvin leaves it on for much over an hour, his arm will get red from it.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »

Advice for taking off the tape.... slowly (maybe more painful that way but less scary)

Cream?  Had no problems.  I leave it on about 1 1/2 hours  (good point that it might be the wrap).  Seems the SEAL stuff feels better to me and is easier to put on.  Have you considered or tried the spray?  That'd be easier by far and is supposedly more effective.  Problem.  Not readily available
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:50:45 AM by dwcrawford » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »

My first fistula (used for 5 years with zero problems, did my own sticks and laddered religiously up and down to prevent aneurysms) clotted off a year or so after my first transplant.  It is completely flat now, but there is of course a scar, about 5 inches long and that is whiter than my normal caucasian pinky flesh colour. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »

Yes fistulas after not used for a while clot off and get smaller. I'm guessing it's the same for a graft but the graft probably doesn't get smaller as it is always one size since it is made man tubing, but I could be wrong about that.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »