I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:42:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Does this seem right?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this seem right?  (Read 3050 times)
caringpct

« on: January 29, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »

The unit I work at has techs and nurses. The dietitian and social worker are there at least once a week but has several other units to visit. I hardly ever have doctors come through.
The nurses are there to give meds and do assessments. The techs do all the work including catheters. My unit has 16 chairs that in the morning 2 techs are over. Late in the day we get 2 more techs in. Techs get all the machines ready, put on all patients, do all vitals, and take all patients off. Not only that but we pull up all the heparin, do all monthly patient educations, take all labs, plus do anything that the patients need. We techs also get things ready for the nocturnal shift and the next day shift, no to mention making the acid (2k and 3k baths)and the bicarb.

Techs have no say in the way things are done, even if it makes things run smoother. In fact, at my unit I have been in charge of 8 chairs by MYSELF, then got in trouble because I put people on early and didn't get other things done. I'm sorry the only way I could help all my patients is if I got them on as soon as I could. Besides the earlier I get them on the earlier they can leave and get on with their lives!

Many days my unit runs shorthanded while the FA sits in her office or leaves to go have lunch with her sister for 2 hours. Nurses will not help because they can do our job but we can't do theirs. I work 12-14 hours a day plus go to school. Techs only get a 30 minute lunch and unless you bring it, there is nothing near by to go get something to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, but things just don't seem right.
And let me tell you I don't do this for the money. You would think as much as dialysis centers charge I would make more. In fact I could work in a fast food place and make close to the same thing.
Does any one see any of this in the units they go to?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Caringpt, I live in Canada and our system is very different.  Only nurses cannulate here and techs set up the machines.  Given your system, I think you ought to become a nurse if at all possible and then aim to become an FA so that you can run a unit in a better way that the one you're in now.  Our nursewratchet here at IHD is a terrific example of someone who cares about patients and runs a tight ship in her unit.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »

It doesn't sound fair to me, that's for sure. I agree with monrein - sounds like you'd make a lovely nurse, and perhaps you'd get a little more recognition and compensation for your effort. The world needs people like you in dialysis units, so I hope you can find a solution before this place burns you out.

Good luck.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
caringpct

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

Thank you. I am actually starting nursing school now and hope to run my own center some day. I can tell you things will be different in my unit.
Patients need to come first but the staff needs to be taken care of too. You can't over work the good people you have or you will lose them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »