I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 08:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  GOUT
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOUT  (Read 5385 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: January 18, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »

Humband was given a prescription for gout from the dialysis clinic. He's had a golf ball size swelling on his elbow for some time now. I'm just wondering, is gout common with people who have ESRF, or is something that could've happened either way?

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »

Gout occurs when excess uric acid (a normal waste product) accumulates in the body, and crystals deposit in the joints. This may happen because either uric acid production increases or, more often, the kidneys are unable to remove uric acid from the body adequately. Certain foods, such as shellfish and alcohol, may increase uric acid levels and lead to gout attacks.
bevvy5

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »

My husband has suffered from periodic attacks of gout for years, usually in the big toe joint.  The uric acid forms crystals that are painful when they lodge in tissue, is how it was explained to us at one point. 

He takes a medication called allopurinol daily to prevent attacks, and has another medication that he keeps just in case it flares up.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »

That is the name I'm seeing here on his prescription. Good thing you spelled it out because I was having a hard time understanding the Dr.s' writing! lol  They learn that in school right? How to write sloppy lol. He says his elbow doesn't hurt, just bothersome when he rests on it. Thanks for all the info.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »

texasstyle, my husband has also been taking allopurinol for years, he suffers with goat, I mean gout in  his foot. I think it goes with the territory.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »

Allopurinol is a godsend!  I had no idea about gout until one morning I couldn't even walk. Pain was incredible. But after starting the meds, I have only had a twinge a couple of times.  I take it daily and am thrilled it works so well.   :2thumbsup;    I would bet his is caused by ESRD.  YLguy's explanation was right on target.   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
murf

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »

My sister suffers from this condition. She was told to avoid alcohol, prawns and Vegemite (an Australian yeast compound) among other foods.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
pdpatty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:43:15 AM »

I could not take Allopurinol  I tried it and got the most severe pain in my shoulder running up my neck into the base of skull.
 I had bouts of gout since I was in my early 20s. I am now 64. Doctors did not know what it was so I had to just `ride' it out for years until and intern from Ohio state reconized it.. Before I was diagnosed with PKD,I would take indocin for a few days to get rid of it/
Then they put me on a steriod pack . My attacks would be so bad that the area affected would swell and be a blackish red color. The fever in the area would cause the skin to peel afterwards.I;ve had it in the toes,ankles and fingers.
Since I started hemo,I have not had an acute attack . Knock on wood!

So strange,hemo is doing so well for me,I seldom if ever have to take blood pressure meds.

Oh yes,some blood pressure meds can agrivate gout.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »

Ouch.  That hurts.  They used to say diet was an issue.  There were two meds I took.  One would stop or cure an attach and the other was a daily preventive.  They were, I think, allopurine and Zyloprim (although it was a long time ago and I'm not sure which was for what).

A trauma can bring it on suddenly (although it is not the cause).  Mine started just after a surgery.  But it is all long gone.

Re BP, was on 5 and all gone after dialysis stared.  No meds through system and only blood thinner (coumadin) orally. 

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:57:23 PM »

wow I was never told Vegemite was a no no. I had a vegemite sandwich yesterday!!!

Luckily I've been on Allopurinol for 9 years and had no further attacks of gout since the one and only. You only need one to never ever want it again. It's that painful (mine was in the toe region also).

The dumbest thing about the whole episode was that I was in San Diego with my family. We were actually there because my mother had been sent over by the oz govt for a medical procedure to fix a DVT related embolism she had - but in the end the UCSD folks said they couldn't help her because her problem was too much for even their procedures. Anyhoo I got this attack and I could hardly walk. My sister was laughing at me because she thought I was putting it on. Anyway I had NFI about gout as nothing was ever said to me, and I wasn't near end stage at that point (4 years away) so didn't make the connection. Anyhoo went to the UCSD ER and explained the situation and I was very clear to give my kidney disease history just in case. They looked at me, did a scan and declared it was just an inflamation and basically take these pills and bugger off on a plane back home. So when I got home (the anti-inflamatory meds helped me recover) the neph said "oh yeah well gout is common. here take this.. and wrote me a script for Allopurinol right away). No problems since then.. big thumbs down to UCSD ER doc for not having a clue.....

So yeah the gout is common with ESRD patients.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »

I had 2 episodes of gout, both treated with a course of increased prednisone for about a week then rapidly tapered back down to my usual 5 mg.  Had that not worked we'd have gone to Allopurinol but I'm glad I didn't have to add another daily med to the already overwhelming regimen.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »

I haven't been bothered with it for many, many years but I've been told that the only comparable pain is giving birth.  I don't have a personal story for that.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »

Thanks guys. I had heard of Gout but never knew exactly what it was. I looked up a little research. Our primary is across the street & I believe he can drain the elbow. Best to do this I imagine before the pain starts. From your stories it sounds mighty painful!

Bub

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »

Anybody heard of a form of gout that appears as a rash that itches mightly and hurts when you scratch.  Again supposedly cased by too much uric acid.  I had a blood test run few days ago to measure my uric acid levels.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:55 AM »

Hi Bub. I've been doing some reading on Gout now and it seems it effects mostly the joints and into the joint effected tissue. The acid apparently crystallizes in these joints causing pain. Swelling, burning sensation, and redness where among the symptoms I had read. Most commonly to happen in the big toe but can effect other joints. I would talk to your Dr. or nurse about your concerns. I never knew anything about it til recently myself. Have a great day!

-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

texasstyle, my husband has also been taking allopurinol for years, he suffers with goat, I mean gout in  his foot. I think it goes with the territory.

Mike has been taking allopurinol for about 6 years. He too gets gout in this feet, mostly in the toe joints. Hasn't had an attack in many years.  :beer1;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »