I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is there a reason to stop the diuretics?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there a reason to stop the diuretics?  (Read 2878 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: November 01, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »

Joe was on Furosemide, but a while ago it was stopped.  Why would they want to do that?  Could it hurt?  I would think they'd want him on that for a long time to help produce as much urine as possible.   ???

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »

Since he is already on dialysis not really a need for them anymore.  High doses can do more damage to remaining kidney function than they help out.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:07:28 PM »

I thought they kept dialysis patients on them as long as possible to keep them urinating as long as possible??

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »

High doses can harm kidneys but that probably doesnt really play into it since he is on dialysis. 

It is not advised to keep people in kidney failure on the medication.  It may have to do in part that the medication in part is filtered out by the kidneys and as kidney function declines it takes longer for it to leave the body.  I image it hits a point that it just builds up in the body causing other problems. 

You might check on the pharmacological clinical data on it as such data tends to give more info on it. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 04:39:45 PM by BigSky » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:37:25 AM »

Diuretics work with your kidneys to pull off fluid.  If you kidney is not working then there is no use for the drug.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »

Diuretics work with your kidneys to pull off fluid.  If you kidney is not working then there is no use for the drug.
Ya true! I was taken off mine once my urine output was about once a week or less.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »

The usual rule followed by nephrologists is that diuretics will only work if the patient retains at least 10% normal renal function.  If residual renal function falls below that, then diuretics will not help, but will only put more stress on the kidneys.
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 05:59:52 PM »

In general, diuretics like Lasix should be stopped when dialysis is started; however, there are a few exceptions and only the nephrologist can determine whether it is still indicated.  It is reasonable to question your nurse or doc if you have started dialysis and are still on any diuretics; in most cases, it is an oversight and should have been discontinued.

This is one reason why patients - and especially new ones - should bring their meds to their primary dialsyis nurses once a month to be checked; they can then contact the nephrologist if necessary.  Of course, feel free to ask your nurse* or doc anytime you have a question about your medication regimen.

DeLana  :)

*Make sure you are talking to a nurse - techs are not qualified to give you any information about meds.  Some, unfortunately, don't seem to realize that  :o
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:03:31 PM by DeLana » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »