I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 04:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  After transplant, man ready to fulfill potential
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: After transplant, man ready to fulfill potential  (Read 1186 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 27, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »

December 27, 2009

After transplant, man ready to fulfill potential

By ERIN MADISON
Tribune Staff Writer

For six years, Josh Hill spent three to four hours, three days a week in dialysis.

Hill, now 27, was diagnosed with Wegner's granulomatosis when he was 17. The disease causes inflammation in the blood vessels, which can restrict blood flow to organs, according to the Mayo Clinic. In Hill's case, the disease damaged his kidneys.

Hill received his last dialysis treatment this summer. On Aug. 1 he had a kidney transplant. His little brother Jon donated the organ.

Hill has used the time he used to spend in dialysis to catch up on life and spend more time with friends and family.

"It opens a door to where I can do a lot more in life," he said.

He plans to start nursing school next fall, something that wasn't possible when he spent as much as 12 hours a week at dialysis.

"It just kind of held me back to where I couldn't (go to school)," Hill said. "I had to pick a job or school."

In April, Hill, a waiter at Applebee's, walked into work to find out a regular customer left him a check for $8,000 — enough to make the kidney transplant he'd been awaiting for two years a possibility.

Hill's social workers suggested that he have at least $5,000 in the bank before the transplant to cover his travel to Seattle, his month-long stay there and the time after the transplant when he wasn't able to work. The remainder of the $8,000 will go into savings for his next transplant. Hill likely will need one or two more kidney transplants over his lifetime.

Before Hill received the check, his brother already was going through tests to donate a kidney. In the end, he was a match.

"He made a huge decision," said Cindy Hoyt, Jon's and Josh's mother. "It was a tough decision ... especially at his age. He has his whole life ahead of him.

"He was tired of seeing his brother go through everything he'd been through," Hoyt said. "To me, Jon is a hero."

Hill and Jon, 22, went through surgery on the same day.

"It was a very stressful, tense situation," Hoyt said. "We were on pins and needles."

When they were both out of surgery, Josh Hill asked to be moved closer to his brother, so he could say thank you.

"We had the whole floor of nurses crying," Hoyt said.

The procedure went smoothly. Josh Hill was up and walking the same day.

"It's a miracle how it worked," he said.

Hill proposed to his fiancée, Christine, about three years ago, but didn't want to get married until he had a transplant. He wanted to be sure he'd be around and was able to be a good husband. Those plans are still on the horizon.

"We're just taking our time, making sure we get our life caught up," Hill said.

Christine has been by Hill's side throughout the entire ordeal, Hoyt said.

"I'd like to say a special thank you to Christine," she said. "She just stuck with him. Not very many girls will do that."

Hill went through a lot to get his new kidney.

"Josh is very strong-willed," Hoyt said. "He was very determined that he was going to make it through it."

After a Tribune article about Hill ran in April, quite a few people came into Applebee's and gave Hill money. After the transplant, customers came in to see how he was doing.

Hill would like to thank everyone who supported him, and so would his mother.

"Josh had a lot of support from his family and a lot of support from his co-workers," Hoyt said. "I'd like to thank those who have loved and supported Josh."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20091227/NEWS01/912270306/1002/rss

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »