I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Gift of life: West Seattle resident honors her journey to health
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gift of life: West Seattle resident honors her journey to health  (Read 1225 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 25, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »

Gift of life: West Seattle resident honors her journey to health
December 25, 2009 at 12:33 pm | In Health, Holidays, How to help, West Seattle news | No Comments

Another story of holiday giving: We received a news release announcing that West Seattle resident Elaine Cornell won a statewide drawing held by her employer, Umpqua Bank, for a $500 donation to be given to a charity of her choice. She chose Northwest Kidney Centers, where she received dialysis treatment more than 20 years ago, while awaiting a kidney transplant, which came from her sister, RoseAnne Tobelaine of Snohomish (at right with Elaine in the photo below). Along with the news release came Elaine’s first-person story.

The gift I Received and why I want to give to the Northwest Kidney Centers:

Winning the first prize in the Associate Giving Campaign has given me a great opportunity to, in part, give back to an organization and foundation that was there for me during my greatest time of need and express my gratitude for the “Gift of Life” I received from my sister.

In 1986 I was in my third year at the University of Washington, when I learned, thanks to a very pro-active and thorough Navy doctor, that blood tests showed my kidney function was in the abnormal range. In addition to the blood tests, I had high blood pressure readings (which were not normal for someone of my age who was not overweight, in good physical shape and not a smoker) and I was weak.

Elaine’s story continues ahead:

The doctor referred me to a nephrologist at Pacific Medical Center. I had a kidney biopsy, the results of which indicated that my kidneys were diseased. At that time they were functioning at about 30 percent of normal use. The prognosis was to take experimental amounts of an immunosuppressive drug called prednisone. There were many side effects, but the treatment may have prolonged the use I had left.

Even afterward, my kidney function was not any better and I was told it was only a matter of time before I would go into end stage failure. This is devastating news at 21 years old, but I managed to still complete my studies and to go through with plans to get married. By spring of 1988, I was showing signs of end-stage kidney failure. This meant preparation for hemodialysis had to begin. I had surgery to create a fistula and to input a subclavien catheter. I began dialysis at Northwest Kidney Centers’ clinic on Broadway in Seattle.

The experience created an awareness, not just of the people needing treatment, but also of the sometimes insurmountable task of educating patients about their disease, teaching them how to help their bodies endure the treatments and helping them fight depression. The experts at this time were talking to me about considering kidney transplantation because outside of the disease that was directly affecting my kidneys, I had no other health issues.

All three of my siblings wanted to get tested to donate a kidney to me. It turned out that my oldest sister was the best match. We planned the surgery and my sister had to go through all the tests to make sure she had two fully functioning kidneys. I was on dialysis for about six months. During this time, the tests found that my sister had an ovarian cyst that needed to be removed. We were still hoping the surgery would happen. About two days after removing the cyst, we learned that thankfully it was benign. Then, we had the green light to continue with the transplant.

The gift of a kidney from my sister was truly the “Gift of Life.” We have both continued to raise families and have enriching lives. The selfless generous gift enabled me and my spouse to have two strong boys, now ages 16 and 11, as well as given me the energy to work, take care of the children, and be a contributing member of our nuclear family and society as a whole.

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=25588

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »