I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  a question about 'dry weight'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a question about 'dry weight'  (Read 3241 times)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« on: November 27, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »

Ok, so my hubbys "dry weight" in pounds is in think 163 (im actually not sure right now which i feel bad about). His weight latly has been 170 then they pull off 4 kelos, and were gradually getting it down to 'dry'.  Now, he just got over the stomach flu, and his weight is 159 and he feels great.  Are they now going to try to give him fluids to come *UP* to his dry weight??   We dont want them to do that as he is working hard to keep fluids down and no swelling.  Can they tell through the machine if he NEEDS the fluids due to dehydration?  or would they just give it to him because of the danged DRY weight syndrom.  Thanks for any info....

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
calypso

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »

If he feels great there is no reason to give him fluids. His dry weight may need to be changed to the new #.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »

I sure hope they will just leave it bee... Thanks for the speedy response... Im fretting tomorrow and what to do if they want to add fluid.  Oh, and what about the machine.  Can it tell if he "needs" fluid like if he's dehidrated from .................  well puking and diareha ??

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »

Sometimes they keep going down - if that makes sense, to 'find' his dry weight.  This means they may keep going down until he gets sick.  This sounds barbaric, but I think it is the only way to be absolutely sure there is no extra fluid floating around.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »

Some centers can run a "Crit" line which tells.... well let me look it up.....:

B l o o d Volume M o n i t o r i n g : How CRIT- L I N E  c a n   h e l p   y o u .

The CRIT-LINE is a window into your bloodstream that, for the first time, allows you and your health care team to determine if they are removing fluid from you too fast. This is called “Blood Volume Monitoring.” To safely determine your ideal dry weight with the CRIT-LINE, first you must understand the relationship between hematocrit and blood volume change. Hematocrit (HCT) is the ratio of red blood cells (RBCs) in your bloodstream compared to your total blood volume. It is reported as a percentage, i.e., your goal is 33-36%.

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »

Thanks so much friends  :2thumbsup;  Boy, is it something to be able to ask people who have been there and feel this stuff...  So anyway, he went in at 72.7 and his dry weight is 73.2.  So, they will be only keeping out 1/2 of what he usually takes (4) because STILL he had a dot of swelling.  This should be easier on him though thatn the 4 so we're happy with him and his efforts..  Thanks again for info...  "the wife"

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »

If he's feeling good and has no swelling at his lower weight the dry weight should be adjusted and maybe even could go a little lower. Take into account that if he's just been sick for some time then he most likely will have lost real body weight due to lack of eating or other things, and possibly muscle mass due to lack of exercise, so that will bring down the body weight too.. so the dry weight should be reassessed.

I agree also that a BVM is a good idea to get a much better idea of what's happening inside with his fluid refilling, and will give an idea if he's close to or off his ideal dry weight. I'd ask for it to be done.

Certainly no reason that I can see to push saline IN to go UP to an old dry weight.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »