I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do you feel after Hemo Dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you feel after Hemo Dialysis?  (Read 6968 times)
whiskeyfrank

« on: November 18, 2009, 05:34:45 AM »

I keep getting asked by friends and family, "how do you feel after dialysis?" and to be honest i dont feel  any different to when i went in. If anything a little tired, but that maybe 4 hours of watching daytime TV that causes that!

Just wondered how it effects everyone else, do you generally feel better or worse. Of no medical interest just wondering

PKD - diagnosed 1986
Fistula added July 2009
Bilateral Nephrectomy Oct 2009
Fistula Failed Oct 2009
HD started Oct 2009
Live donor from mum Jan 4th 2010
mum and me both great

Started a blog on my condition from stable now to Living Donor transplant (hopefully)

My Blog - http://pkddiary.blogspot.com/
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:05:33 AM »

My Husband doesn't feel any different immediately following dialysis, but he has residual function and we don't have to take off extra fluid very often.

In general, now that he is on dialysis, he feels worlds better than he did before starting. The toxins had built up in his system and dragged him down.

He can get up from dialysis and go right to work when we do it during the day.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:06:29 AM »

The general term that I hear is "washed out".  I feel tired and if I go lay down I feel tingly all over.... minty fresh?

Most of the time I can go about my day, but if my BP has dropped that day then forget it.  I'm dragging until the next day.

I also have noticed that the muscles in my back are weak until the next day.

lizabee

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »

I feel about the same, just more tired since I have to get benadryl for the itchiness I get from tape
Pam

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »

I feel good after D. Somedays I have a twinge o a headache and am tired but I think that is the after effect from sleeping while in he chair. If I come home and go about everyday things I am fine. If I take a nap then I am usually wiped out the rest of the day. Those naps do not refresh me at all.
Pam
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »

On nocturnal I have felt better after dialysis. On the four hour runs three days a week I felt washed out lot of the time and hungry afterward.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Melissa

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »

I usually feel a little shaky and "washed out" as Rerun says.  It passes after a few hours, which leaves me wide awake in the middle of the night! 
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

After home hemo, I usually felt great - enough energy to go shopping or work out.  On in-center, I had a lot more of the washed-out feeling.  It was directly related to how much fluid I had to take off.  If I was good and kept it under 2.4 or so, then I usually didn't feel the need to lay down and sleep after.  Anything much over that, and I knew I wasn't going to do anything but take some tylenol and snooze most of the afternoon.  The Wednesdays when I needed Aranesp were a given for going home and sleeping - something about the epo just knocks me out about 5 hours after I take it.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cherpep

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »

I am amazed that you guys feel so decent after dialysis.  That has never been my experience - neither in clinic or at home.  I am always washed out and a bit dizzy after dialysis.  I feel like crap!  Maybe it's because I dialyze at night, right before I go to bed.  Some mornings, I still feel the same way and it takes a while before I'm up to snuff.  It doesn't matter how much fluid I take off, the results are always the same.  I thought everyone felt like this, I'm really surprised here.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »

I'm with you Cherpep.  When I did haemo (in centre) I was always completely washed out afterwards to the extent I couldn't stand for a while, could barely walk to the car (let alone drive) and usually always had to make Paul stop on the half hour drive home to vomit.  I was then usually wiped out for the following day and could do nothing, and was only ok again by the time it was time to go back for another 5 hour session.  I'm not moaning - just giving you some in site (Dan!) about why I am so pro PD ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »

I don't feel tired or dizzy after dialysis--just a little bit more itchy and tingly.  That usually goes away after 8 hours or so.
HubbysPartner

Our first New's Year's together - A new beginning

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

My husband usually feels good after dialysis.  We do daily home hemo and he still has some residual function so we don't usually need to take much fluid off.  He feels so much better since he started. 

Caregiver to husband, Lou, diagnosed 2/2008
4/2009 - Fistula
10/2009 - Started NxStage training
112009 - Finished training; at home with nxstage

Our family - husband, Lou; me, Marge; sons, Marc & Keith; daughter, Liz
Be still and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »

I feel like crap, most of the days after dialysis. I'm really shaky, and I just want to sleep. I don't feel better until, the next day, or until after I take a nap or something. And i'm usually starving after. But that was when I didn't eat breakfast. Now that I eat breakfast, i'm not that hungry after. I'm trying to get contacts, but the "classes" to put them in, are only on Mondays, Wednessdays, and Fridays, and those are the days I go to dialysis. Since i'm so shaky, I can't get them in. I've been to about 10 classes. No luck. =[
whiskeyfrank

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:30 AM »

Thanks for your replys, i asked in center as well, and most people feel worse after dialysis, most comment is "washed out". Strange because some people feel much better and full of beans - i just feel the same.

PKD - diagnosed 1986
Fistula added July 2009
Bilateral Nephrectomy Oct 2009
Fistula Failed Oct 2009
HD started Oct 2009
Live donor from mum Jan 4th 2010
mum and me both great

Started a blog on my condition from stable now to Living Donor transplant (hopefully)

My Blog - http://pkddiary.blogspot.com/
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 05:25:58 AM »

been at it six months plue now and I've felt badly twice.  low bp i'm sure.  not bad actuallly as i'd probably have had two  bad days without dialysis.  actually often i feel  full of beans, but probably not what you're talking about. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:04:12 AM by dwcrawford » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 06:28:07 AM »

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.....

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 04:31:27 AM »

I usually feel OK after haemo probably because there is no fluid removal. Just occasionally I feel not quite 100% because despite not having fluid removed I sometimes come of with BP quite low.

Does anyone else on here feel (I can only describe it as) NON thirsty after D. I seem to have an aversion to any kind of drink especiallly cold drinks.

Ken
calypso

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »

I feel great. Like a guy with kidneys. Except I can't write my name in the snow. Well ok ok I CAN write my name in the snow, I just can't snicker when some little brat tries to eat it.

:shy;

Oh and remember folks: A joke a day keeps the doctor in stitches.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:28:14 AM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
jdkaran

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »

I do home Hemo and can not sleep.  Sometimes I am up for 48 hours.  Does anyone else experiance this

Each moment is precious....Don't waste them !!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »