I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Used For First Time.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Used For First Time.  (Read 3598 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: September 30, 2006, 02:46:03 AM »

Hi guys,

wanted to let you all know that my fistula was used for the first time on Wednesday.  Yesterday (Friday) the unit got me on a pump speed of 250 when previously I was only going at 200 with my line.  I also got 4 litres more blood through the machine as my line was giving me 50% clearance.

I still don`t like the needles though and got a bit shakey last night cos the needles had to be tugged out of my arm!!!  Guess I'm just going to have to get used to the needles now, doesn't mean I have to like them though!!!  I'm giving myself a round of applause for not passing out yesterday! :clap;

SCOTLAND NO.1
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:49:04 AM »

Congratulations  Mattyboy  :clap;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 09:59:11 AM »

Good job! It takes courage to let them stick you with those big needles! :wine;
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:54:05 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:17:14 PM »

:clap; :2thumbsup; Congratulations  :cuddle; :beer1;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »

Good job!  And don't forget to continue to exercise it.      ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »

Did they give you liquid lidocaine?  I'm about to start, and I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or not, but I'm a wimp about blood draws, so I think I may have to insist on it.

I've been reading about phobias and how to deal with needle phobia.  One of the suggestions was to clench all the muscles in your lower body if you started to feel faint while they were poking you.  It forces all the blood back into your torso, so you don't get so dizzy.  I tried it with my last blood draw- it works pretty well.

Congrats on making it through! :clap;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:26:59 PM »

I have a catheter that I am NOT letting them take out until it has to go because of Gangreen!  BUT, I decided to let them use my fistula for a month.  If it works great.....I'll go back to the catheter.  If it doesn't then I need to get it fixed while my catheter is still in good shape.

I realized that if I went with my original idea and my fistula didn't work..... I'd be SOL (Shit Out of Luck....for the non-Americans)  So, I'm taking charge and letting them try my fistula.

I told them my plan and ended my proposition with "And I don't want any CRAP about going back to my catheter!"

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »

Congratulations on your new fistula.  It makes a world of difference when you go from a catheter to a fistula as far as effective Dialysis.

I remember the visit to the ER when I was on Dialysis the first time.  My kidney's had completely failed and I could barely breathe.  They later told me if I hadn't been taken to the ER, I probably would have had a heart attack due to all the potassium on my heart.

I was lucky that day because one of the ER docs on staff was a pro.  He came in, grabbed a catheter and placed it in my neck until I could have my fistula surgery.  Once my arm healed, they stuck me for the first time and it was really traumatic.  I don't believe they used lidocaine that day and I let out a large, "Ow!"  One of the other patients started laughing at me.  I still remember him to this day that ol' bastard.

I don't remember who my surgeon was, but I rememver he was a huge ass.  But the work he did has lasted, are you ready for this??  Eleven years.  Eleven frickin' years my fistula has lasted.  Doctors are amazed.  Other patients are jealous.  I should be in Ripley's.

I must admit it's had to be cleaned three times since I restarted Dialysis, but I feel pretty lucky I don't have to have another one inserted.  I've been cut into enough for one lifetime.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:00:52 AM »

Ya I remember all the trouble I had with mine and it is good to hand onto the catheter as long as possibel like Rerun. I am glad I listened to people here and kept mine for as long as I did (had mine for 14 months). Now the fistula is finally working without blowing. For awhile there is seemed to blow all the time but it was narrowing.

Congrats on your fistula working well!  :2thumbsup;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:12:14 AM »

Angie, I've been meaning to ask you how yours was doing.  Glad to hear it has settled down.

How did it go getting your catheter out??  Maybe you posted that already - Sorry but I haven't read it yet.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:11:54 PM »

Angie, I've been meaning to ask you how yours was doing.  Glad to hear it has settled down.

How did it go getting your catheter out??  Maybe you posted that already - Sorry but I haven't read it yet.
Should I answer that here? Don't want to hijack this thread ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 03:27:46 AM »

If you haven't posted it anywhere, start a new one called "Catheter Out" and tell us how it went.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »