I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:28:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Neural toxicty from tacrolimus
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neural toxicty from tacrolimus  (Read 1739 times)
Phraxis

« on: November 16, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »

So having a level of "tac' double the target level -- Wed was supposed to be clinic day but it being Remembrance Day, a holiday in Canada, was delayed until Friday. Well having not slept since Tuesday, shaking and having the weirdest reversal of cold for hot sensation in my hands and feet, I figured something was up. Levels, creatinine, tac, blood sugar were all out of range so they determined I was afflicted with neural taxcity. Not being a doctor, i translated the words to mean nerve poisoning????

Turns out that it is 'normal' and treated by reducing Tac meds. I really wish that doctors would error on the too much information since it was apparent that this is a normal protocol development.

Anyone had these symptoms on tacrolimus?

PS I did a sweep through all my drugs and promptly scared the crap out of myself, interactions, side effects etc. But I take comfort in post transplant is better than I felt on D so I will deal with it.  Oh yes and the kidney, she is not happy. For the first time I am pretty sure I can feel the new kidney and I am getting the distinct sensation that she is not happy with this neural toxcity.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

Aren't the tacro shakes annoying as hell?  They finally got my levels down, and I only wobble a little now.  I can sew again, but the sculpting is gonna look pretty rough yet.  Didn't have any of the hot/cold sensation switch, but I was still stuck in the hospital on no food at the time, so it's not like I was getting anything like a hot coffee mug to hold onto. 

Didn't they go through all the side effects of each med with you?  The transplant pharmacy from U of Michigan sent a couple of people to my room to go over the possible effects of each and every thing I was on.

How's the kidney doing now?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »