I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  swine flu vaccine..any takers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: swine flu vaccine..any takers?  (Read 2771 times)
chris73

its me ...Chris

« on: October 13, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »

Will be visiting  tx clinic for 1 1/2 post  checkup on Oct 26th and ask if H1N1 vaccine is right for me. Has anyone pre or post tx have taken the shot or does tx clinic recommend you having it? God Bless!!!  Chris
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:18:30 PM by chris73 » Logged

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »

I have decided to get both the H1N1 shot and the reg flu shot  and the pneumonia shot too......    I know there is risk  but  I am willing to take the risk..... heck  just living these days is risk........  There are offering everything at my center.......  so that will be easy.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bub

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

My center has given us the regular shot. Swine flu shots soon available and I will take it.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:54 AM »

Just had my regular flu shot yesterday, but the H1N1 wasn't available yet.  Will most likely get it if it is recommended.  I read somewhere that those over 64 (I'm 66) are less likely to get it than younger folks.  Wonder why that is.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »

Just had my regular flu shot yesterday, but the H1N1 wasn't available yet.  Will most likely get it if it is recommended.  I read somewhere that those over 64 (I'm 66) are less likely to get it than younger folks.  Wonder why that is.
I read something that there were similar strains of the H1N1 in the past. 1977 is one year I do remember being mentioned. So some folks may have an immunity.

Friday I tried to get the regular shot at my neurologist's office, they gave the last dose to the person before me. My family doctor said call back in November. My gynecologist was out of shots, I called yesterday  because I was to see him today. I went on on line to find a local pharmacy giving them. most of the pharmacies had cancelled the Flu shot Clinics they had scheduled. Sleep clinic had twenty doses but couldn't hold any. I finally got a shot. I took two hours off of work and drove 40 minutes each way. I work at a long term care facility, one of our residents has confirmed case of type A flu. We were supposed to get the shot at work, but they don't have enough doses for all the employees, so they aren't giving any until they have enough. I'm not taking any chances. That's why I got my own.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

I will be getting it, after having spoken with my nephrologist, as well as one of our cardiologists at my workplace, who looks after heart transplant patients.

I have already had the regular flu shot, and have been having it for some years now.
andykinney

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:57:50 AM »

Got the regular flu shot in September.  Per recommendations from transplant center nephrologists, will get in line for the H1N1 shot as well.  While "they" say that those of us of a certain age (ahem!) have some sort of natural immunity, they also say that older people with health issues should get the shot.  I'm praying  :pray;  and crossing my fingers and my toes, but I'm doin' it!

"Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole.
I think whatever gods may be, For my unconquerable soul."

Diagnosed with PKD in 2003 - consider myself a mutant, since
no ancestor seems to have had it.

Started dialysis in 2007; much of the time between catheter
surgery and 1st dialysis is hazy (if I don't think about it, it ain't true!)

Was on dialysis only 2 1/2 years and am blessed to have
received a kidney from a remarkable guy and family!

Deceased donor transplant on May 7, 2009.
Phraxis

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »

I am getting both shots next week, as per transplant team recommendation.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »

Actually the last pandemic with a similar H1N1 virus was 1957.  Some born before this may already have a natural immunity, but a booster shot will not hurt even these folks.  I was born in 1958.  Can't even get a break here.  The average age of death from swine flu is 51.  A recent observational study shows about a 5% death rate in dialysis patients but please note that this was even with Tamiflu in the majority of those patients.  Without Tamiflu, it is likely that the death rate would have been much higher.  Until we can get the flu vaccine, social distancing and Tamiflu are our defense.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »