I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  pros and cons of buttonholes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pros and cons of buttonholes  (Read 6778 times)
lorna

« on: November 09, 2010, 02:18:52 AM »

Im sure there is another post about the same thing i just cant seem to find it! I was just wondering what are you good/ bad experiences with button holes and if you have any advice? Im fairly new to hemo and many of my nurses are telling me i need to develop button holes but im not really thrilled with the idea. I have heard many peoples complaints about them and to be honest the nurse who would be developing them and needling me all the time is not one who i enjoy having! So any advice would be so helpfull! thanks!
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »

Button Holes are the way to go. You get to use blunts instead of sharps and they don't hurt nearly as much and stopping the bleeding at the end of your session takes 10 minutes instead of up to 30 minutes for each site.
My nurse convinced me by saying it was the same system you use to get your ears pierced.
I've never heard a single complaint...at my centre it's regarded as the Rolls Royce of access techniques and the exception would only be those who could not use it...goretex fistulas etc.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »

I've done both, and think that buttonholes are great as they help to avoid aneurysms that can develop with improper laddering.  Laddering with sharps can also be just fine as long as the same "easiest" spots aren't used over and over.  As hard as it might be to imagine right now, try to consider doing your own needling...that will give you the best consistency which is important for buttonholes and will eliminate the anxiety of depending on the good, the bad, and the inexperienced to stick you.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pam

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »

By all means get buttonholes!
With buttonholes there is very little pain, For me it is more of a pressure thing since they have to push a little harder wits time h the blunt needles.
At first my aterial alarms went crazy. My fistula is in my upper l arm. They had to insert my arterial needle down towards the wrist and once inserted it has to be flipped. Now it's smooth sailing. My Tech is the best and she can have me hooked up and running in about 7 min.When it is time to disconnect I hold both sites at once for about 10 min. When I take the dressing of there is never more than a pin prick spot of blood.
The worst part of the whole thing is the tape. That paper tape sticks to me like super glue!
Pam
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »

Button holes  :2thumbsup;   No cons!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »

We are just starting buttonholes on a brand new fistula.  I will update as to pros and cons and how it goes.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

I hate wait for a few months to develop buttonholes on my new fistula....but now that I have buttonholes and have been using the same two since I started early this year....  I have no complainants......  to me it the way to go...I have a upper arm  fistula and it takes me about 30 minutes get my needles in but .......  hey   I have never used a sharp.....and dont want to ......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Desert Dancer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »

I've recently finished developing my buttonholes and I can truthfully say I've found no cons whatsoever. Why weaken your fistula wall by poking it in 8,000 different places if you don't have to?

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
lorna

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »

Thanls for all the positive feedback! Im still hesitant but am warming up to the idea, i certainly want to preserve my fistula for as long as i can! It is on my lower arm and have been using the cathlons because i swear after a run if they have used sharps by arm huirts  the next day. I have really small vessels and a very small arm haha and have had most people say what a great fistula it is and only one or two nurses say its not great and i need buttonholes ,so its kind of a he said she said but im considereing it and eventually your right doing it myself would be the best. I know as a diaetic i HATE when someone else tries to give me insulin!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »