I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  home hemo and hard water
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: home hemo and hard water  (Read 3905 times)
carson

« on: August 24, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »

I've been on home hemo for 3 yrs now and I've had a real hard time with our water. I've got 3 1-micron filters to try and get most of the calcium and other minerals, as well as some iron, out of the water. I have to use an old RO that doesn't recycle the water (but increases my water bill!) and it needs to be replaced every 3 or so months, otherwise I get "No Water" Alarms.  Does anyone else have hard water problems? Any advice will be well received!! Thanks

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
carson

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »

wow, I can't believe that I'm the only member of 4633 members who has this problem...weird!

greg10

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »

I am a newbie so I don't know what I am talking about, but are you the only one doing home-hemo and from Florida?  I am seeing the plane and the water in your avatar so I am just guessing  :)  I know we also had a difficult time in Florida with hard water, but that was before we needed to do dialysis.

I was surprised to read that most dialysis center spend about $13-16k per dialysis machine, but $50k on the water treatment setup.  Some of them go as far as drilling their own well if their municipal supply was not sufficient.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
*kana*

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »

Can't help you, but could you  talk to your water company to see if your rate can be reduced due to life saving medical equipment in use?  You can get a discount from your energy company so why not the water company?

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
cloud393

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »

I have hard water but also have a softener.  What does your center say about it?  I was told that if your water is that bad you would use bags instead.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
carson

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »

@cloud393:  my machine uses approx. 540 litres/night x 7 days/wk = lots of bags!!! My techs said a softner would be out of the question because the silica used will clog the machine. ? .

@*kana*:  my electrical company doesn't give me a discount, nor will my water company.

@greg10:  I live in Stayner, Ontario, Canada and only 5 miles from the world's longest FRESH WATER beach yet my town uses municipal wells for their water which is VERY hard. I wish I could figure out a way to tap into the fresh water. I'd like to move to Collingwood (just up the road) where I'd be able to use their municipal water that comes from Georgian Bay, off Lake Huron (part of the Great Lakes) and then I'd never have an issue! My dialysis machine is worth $32K and the RO is worth $8K.

cloud393

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »

Wow! 540  liters?  I only use 20 on my NxStage and only 5 days a week so it would be 4 bags each treatment.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Ojam

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 07:17:39 PM »

I have hard water, I have 3 .1 micron tanks that are replaced monthly plus a carbon tank that is replaced every 3 months. I don't have any no water alarms. Not sure how much water I use, I'm on a well.

carson

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »

@cloud393 - I dialyze 7 days x 8 hours and after set up and tear down it's about 9 hours so about 60 litres per hour. I have 3  1 micron filters and a carbon tank as well but it's the iron that clogs up my machine and causes all the problems.

greg10

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »

Hi Carson,
  Newbie reporting back after using the NxStage Pureflow.  I know that NxStage is not available in Canada, but just FYI, the purification and dialysate batch processing unit called "Pureflow" is quite efficient.  It uses about 25 to 30 liters of water per treatment, plus ~1 liter SAK flushing and ~20 liters for PAK priming.  The SAK, which holds the dialysate, needs flushing, which is done about once every 2 treatments.  The PAK or filter PAK, a self containied water filter purification unit, needs to be primed every time it is changed, which is about every 12 weeks.

The only drawback I could see is that the supplies are not cheap, the PAK costing about $700, from what I have read.  Although the overall cost of dialysis is much less than in center, perhaps due to labor costs and reduced needs for drug injections.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:05:29 AM »

I have soft water where I am but my daughter in Darwin has hard water (from a bore) and it does cause the problems you describe...I've experienced them when I visit. All her pipes clog up. All I can think of is a tank to collect your rainwater although you probably would not get enough for your needs.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »