I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney removal  (Read 2544 times)
Shirleys daughter

« on: October 06, 2006, 05:51:14 PM »

Hi Everyone!
Has anyone had their kidney's removed?
My mom (72 years old) had her kidneys removed on Tuesday.   She has been having dialysis 4 times a week, because they just can't keep the fluid off and she goes into CHF.
The idea of the removal was to hopefully lower her BP enough to not retain so much water.
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
Thanks
Lisa :wine;  I need this NOW!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:48:26 PM »

Can't help you out but my thoughts are with you and I hope things get better.
Fox_nc

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:05:38 PM »

I had both of my kidneys removed 12 years ago when my function was low enough to warrant dialysis  They said they normally just leave the native kidneys in, but my blood pressure was so high due to kidney damage they yanked them.  It worked out great for me, as the BP was my only other heath concern besides my renal failure.  The day my kidneys came out my BP was back to normal, and normal it stayed ... that was until my transplant began to fail earlier this year  :) Has your mom's BP come down at all yet?  What kind of fluid restriction is she on?

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Panda_9

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 01:18:50 AM »

Ive had both kidneys removed as well as my transplanted kidney. Both because of problems they were causing. Is your mom on a fluid restriction?
Shirleys daughter

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »

Thanks for responding
My mom is doing so good after her kidney removal! :2thumbsup;  They were so sure that she wasn't going to make it through the surgery, due to her numerous other health problems, but she had nothing to lose.
Her fluid is very restricted and always has been.  she can only have 4 cups or 32 oz per day, and as you know, that includes jello, ice cream, soup etc.  She is so thirsty all the time!
What is your fluid restriction?
Thanks everyone for being so supportive and helpful!
Lisa
Shirley's daughter
Fox_nc

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:12:54 PM »

Mine is currently at 1500 cc - which is about the same.  Here's a great thread that talk about different restrictions and what we do to get through the day ... hope this helps

Explain the fluid restriction

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »