I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  worried again.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: worried again.....  (Read 3719 times)
chris73

its me ...Chris

« on: July 12, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »

Got my monthly lab report yesterday and it has me worried again. My creatinine is 1.53 which is been average since tx but my BUN is 26(normal is 7-18md/dl) its at the highest since tx.The tx coordinator called and left message on my phone to double my cellcept so i didnt get a chance to talk to her to ask about my swelling.My ankles area still swelling but not as bad since on lasix need to get in contact with tx clinic and let them know.By me retaining fluid in my legs and feet are going to cause kidney failure or any other organ failure? Seems like there is always something to worry about when it come to bloodwork and wondering if im going into rejection or not.I never would have ever dreamed that this would be the way it is.Anyone has had high BUN on their labs? any help would be great!! God Bless!! Chris :stressed;

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »

No wonder you're worried.  Will leave the technical stuff up to someone who knows, but I just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »

Chris, my BUN fluctuates.. Sometimes it is 10 or 20 points higher and then the next time it is back to "normal" for me. I am 2 years post transplant.

I hope you get it worked out.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »

I would definitely call your tx center Monday morning and tell them of your concerns and symptoms. I have had a high BUN with my Creat at mynormal level. The advice I was given maybe bad for what you are going through because they told me to push fluids. Not sure what my BUN is this month, haven't looked at my labs yet.

Does your swelling go down at night when you wake up?

How is you WBC? Th more than normal for us is not good, it can be a sign of you fighting something. However further test are needed to determine what if anything?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »

I hope everything is ok and just a fluctuation. 
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:51:35 AM »

I had the same experince as Chris. I push fluids and it goes down. Good Luck! I hope it is nothing towory about.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:12:18 AM »

My BUN fluctuates too Chris.  I know my tx team tells me not to worry about it as much... just watch my creatinine closely...

Gotta question... what other meds are you on???  I know some meds can cause fluid retention.  When I was on a higher dose of Diovan (blood pressure med), I retained alot of fluids.  I am on a different blood pressure med and lower dose of Diovan and I am not retaining.  I was also on a different blood pressure med at one time and I retained ALOT of fluids and it scared the crap out of me!  You might look up your meds and see if they have that side effect.

Please keep us updated.  Would like to hear what you find out.   :cuddle;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:34:52 PM »

Spoke to tx clinic today was told to increase my lasix from 10mg once a day to twice from my fluid retention.She also said where its gotten hotter that i need to drink more and not to worry just yet about the high BUN its probably nothing.Thanks for all replies ,sounds like worrying for nothing again....

Donnia: She told me the same about long as my creatinine is looking good that its no big deal.I take prograf,cellcept,prednisone,blood pressure meds norvasc,clonidine and cholesterol med prevastatin and lasix.All the meds are the same  since tx except lasix the dose have changed a little.

Chris: WBC is within range.yes my swelling is gone when i wake up.Tx did stress drink more than i usual do.

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
ardyce

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »

Chris73,

Norvasc has a tendency to make a person retain water.  I went from 5mg to 10mg once a day and I blow-up like a balloon.  I back down to 5mg and all is OK.

Good luck with the creatine numbers I hope they came down right where they should be!

Ardyce

Diagnosed July 2007 CKD
Diagnosed July Breast Cancer
July 2007 Hemodialysis
Changed to CCPD October 2007
Working full time , traveling a bit
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »

Yea!  I'm glad you got the "no worries" answer from your tx team.  The last time my BUN was up my doctor stopped my asprin and my sodium bicarb and my zemplar, but that was all pre-transplant.  My BUN has been normal post transplant.

Ever since my last episode in the hospital with the drain and such I have never drank so much water!  My body is probably saying "Aaahhhhhh".  I drink a lot of "fluids", but not that much water and I'm shocked at the difference the water makes.   I was told after transplant to drink enough to stay hydraded, but I was never told to just drink, drink, drink.  They said that wasn't necessary.  But since I have this ugly drain bag hanging off me 24 hrs a day and I can visually see what my kidney's are putting out on a minute by minute, hour by hour basis I have really been pushing the water.  Mostly in the afternoon and evening.  It's fun to drink a lot at night and not have to get up and pee!  ha ha  I guess I'll have to stop that when they take the bag off or I'll never get any sleep!

Congratulations again!   I'm rooting for you!!!!!!  Keep me posted.  Message or email me anytime!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:57:03 PM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »

thanks all for replies,had labs done in neph's office on wed with results sent to tx clinic haven't heard from either one...no news is good news.I still have swelling in my legs and feet after a long day at work,have appointment with tx clinic next month hope they will do something about it because at the end of the day its difficult to walk on account of the swelling. Anyways i have learned to deal with it. God Bless!! Chris....kelly you still doing ok? had that bag removed yet?

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »

Other than my hurt pride and my self esteem,  I'm doing great!  ;)   Hopefully it's coming out next week and the stent is going back in.  I want to take a long shower with no plastic wrap wrapped around me!!!!!   :pray;  Also, I am looking forward to my first full nights sleep without worrying if A) the bag will leak (as it has in the past) and B) if I'm going to accidentally rollover and rip it out!  I need a restful nights sleep!!!

Thanks!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »