I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:29:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Weight loss to increase GFR
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weight loss to increase GFR  (Read 4893 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: August 15, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »

I have the results of my blood work and now I am down to GFR 11.  I am concerned about having to start dialysis before my fistula is ready as I had it placed only 4 weeks ago..... I was wondering if I go on a very restricted diet (calorie wise)  if I can possibly increase my GFR.... I am thinking of loosing roughly 30 lbs in the next few weeks.... I am going to increase my exercise to several hours a day.... I already walk my dogs for 1-2 hours a day, but I think I will get on the treadmill and start walking more...( I usually use the trendmill in winter when its raining ), maybe start riding the bike...( I haven't done that in a few years).    I am scared of starting dialysis......  I have completed my transplant evaluations and I am now sending in my live donors to be tested...They said that can take a few months too...  I have been planning to go on a trip in two weeks to a secluded forest service cabin in the woods to spend a couple of weeks, hiking, fishing, and most of all relaxing. I am concerned about my health.... all of this has come so fast..... as I had good GFR in March and now....well  gee.....  So  has anyone has any experience with weight loss and increased kidney function.... Will exercise buy me some more time......  I need to buy some time....I am not ready.......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »

I feel quite sure that what I am about to type is not at all what you want to hear, but I think your idea is a particularly bad one.  I say this because you don't want to court malnutrition and other health issues by exercising excessively and eating too little pre-dialysis. 
I think you should be concerned about your health, it's not very good, a GFR of 9 is getting down there and is holding off D for 2 months even, worth the risk of extra complications?  For me it definitely wasn't. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »

They'll put a catheter in your neck if they need to.  I didn't find it particularly painful - just a local.  I'm with Monrein - I don't think trying to lose 30lbs in a few weeks is a good idea for anyone, let alone a pre dialysis person.  Also, not sure it will help.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »

I could sure be wrong on this, but wouldn't a heavy workout and diet regimen create a lot more work for the Kidney's? and if they are already compromised, would they decline even faster?

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

My concern would be the goal - to raise the GFR. The GFR is just a number, it doesn't mean that you are any healthier or your kidneys are suddenly x% better if it goes up - you're still around the 10% mark give or take which is obviously very close to when you should start dialysis. While losing weight and doing exercise in general is a good thing (I try to exercise as much as I can) the goal should be better general health, not just bringing up the GFR to stave off dialysis that little bit longer - I think it, if it happened, would be a bit of a false positive.

Of course if you're a bit overweight and need to take off the weight that's a worthy goal no matter what your GFR is, and exercise is also good..

Just my 2 cents.  :twocents;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

Ok  Fine .......  I didnt really want to ride that bike anyway.....  seat  hurts........    so I guess I will just walk it off.........  I am pretty healthy...... kind of......  dont feel bad now that I have been doing the EPO shots for the past few weeks......    I do need to lose a few pounds......   cant hurt....  A good excuse to get it off.......   my last doctor retired last week and  I am being handed to another  and wont see him untill the end of Sept  so   I guess I am not going to worry..... I am going on my road trip and going to have fun..... and esp   get my hubby out of the truck......  He has been working hard over the past few weeks.......   we need to just take a break....... 

thx  guys.....    Us new people like to vent too.........

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:45 AM »

Heavy and even moderate exercise pours creatinine into your system, Tyefly.

Losing weight should always be done slowly to maintain health. It is better to aim for 1 - 2 pounds per week rather than stressing your system.

Take care.
Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »

I forgot about the creatinine and exercise.....  using our muscles more and creating a higher creatinine level  that is....   well  I still need to lose around 30 lbs..... I was really hoping to do that before I started dialysis.....   I was really hoping not to start dialysis at all.......   I was thinking that I could just get the live donor eval done , go have a surgery and that would be it.....  Sometime  it sounds so simple.....   
   Well the one thing that may be positive...is my GFR has gone up and down  and maybe next month it will be up.......  I am still going on my vacation....no matter what.......I can tell you have much better I feel now after starting the oral iron and the EPO shots over the past three weeks..... I feel like my old self... not even tired......at all.....  I dont even feel sick......but I know I need to watch my blood work  and my hemoglobin....     I sure have learned alot here  over the past few months.....  And I know I have alot to learn yet.....  Thx everyone for listening....... 

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »