I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:37:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  grannyM update
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: grannyM update  (Read 2266 times)
grannyM

« on: August 10, 2009, 09:00:57 PM »

I met with my nep Dr and my blood work is the pits. I am end stage and no buffer zone.  He will set some date for fistula deep in my arm or something and sometype of ultrasound and then my head just went all numb. He was very, very nice and talked slow or my brain was slow. He was explaining the whys and how the kidneys work and  I know his lips were moving but I was thinking about his hair. Crazy!!!!! Something about possible transplant did I have siblings and children.  I was smiling like a zombie, clown, bobble-head ...... Something about the summer weather and I should be mature by Nov.  Mature??  I am 59, or mature because I wasn't crying? What hopsital did I like, like we were planning a vacation. All I could do was look him in the face and say 'Oh, sure. Sounds great. Sign me up!" He will send me booklets and hopsital kits??? I don;t remember it all. I just kept saying "Thanks. Great idea"
He thinks I might make it till spring so I smile and Thank him for that good news and head back to work. I am glad I had to finish my work today, made me keep my emotions controlled.  Now to talk with my husband and later my family.  My husband was very up set when I told him my first blood work results before the nep Dr.
I haven't the emotional-strength to tell him right now.  It wouldn;t change anything so for now will digest this, and wait till the fistula, something he can see and know it is all real. The kids are busy with end of summer fun and getting their children ready to return to school so it is better to wait before I talk with them.  I think I might cry if I looked anyone in the face and spoke about all this right now.  I want to be Calm when I talk about it.
I am thankful the first blood work results came by mail and I found IHD.  I have been reading new and lots of old posts and know there is still life to live. I will just do it differently.  I think reading the posts helped me prepare for the Nep Dr. appointment today. I even had some questions for him from the posts but my brain went numb or should I say "dumb" on me.  Well, I will see more of him I am sure.  Thanks for a place to let it all pour out.  grannyM     Aug 10,2009 ESRD
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »

So sorry to hear your bad news.

Perhaps the "mature" part he was talking about was your fistula. It might be mature (or ready to use) by November??? It takes a while after the surgery before they can actually use the fistula for dialysis.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

Do not hide this process from your husband or family.  You don't need to take this all on yourself to process.  They all need to get involved and learn.  Otherwise it will be hard for them to understand why you don't feel like "shopping, taking a walk, swimming, going on a hike"...etc...   

I use to hide taking my medication because I didn't want anyone to know I was ill..... then they just think you are lazy.  Best to be honest from the get-go. 

Just my  :twocents;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »

Sorry about the grim news. Get your self a notebook to be used only for your neph visits, and write the questions down as you think of them. Best of luck to you. I will be going down that trail myself soon.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:17 AM »

You will get through this ... :cuddle;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
grannyM

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:55:39 AM »

Thanks Rerun and Jean.  I will share with my family, soon. I am working and feeling fine. You cann't 'see' kidney disease so I will learn more myself.  I'll  wait for my fistula date (dr to set up and call me), I wouldn;t be able to hide it from them then.  The more I learn the better I will be able to tell them so they understand.  Since I don't understand it  just now; I will give myself a few days to get my head clear.  Due to our working hours I only see my husband a few minutes a day (15-20 min). When i get hiome he is in bed so I have to get up as he is leaving if I want to see him.  I can tell him come the weekend.  I just didn;t want to dumb it on him as he walks out the door. I will have information and facts already printed off for him.  I was glad I could talk about it here first and I am adjusting too.  I'll be ready come Saturday.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:22:24 AM »

:grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:21 AM »

read the thread where Rerun goes to dialysis and you will laugh and cry at the same time -
I will try to find it -
you will get used to dialysis -- you will never like it -- but you will be alive -
not an easy life but it is life -- look at things you love in life and be glad you are here --
I hate dialysis but I am alive --
get the cream to help with the pain of the needles if you hate needles -
your IHD family will be here for you and we can help -
we care about you and we understand
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 04:48:59 AM »

:grouphug; grannyM. We are all here to help you and to answer any questions you have, we are just a keyboard away.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:33:26 AM »

I'm sorry. I know you said your husband isn't very supportive. Are your children more supportive? We're here for you, but do you also have close friends who can give you an in-person hug when you need it?

:grouphug;

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:01 AM »

GrannyM,  I think we are sisters!  You process things exactly like I do.  Let me take it all in by myself, sit on it and then share with family when I need to or when I am ready.  I prefer to deal with the problems myself.  My husband is Chicken Little "the sky is falling!"  What are we going to do?  How can we afford this? This is horrible!   Then all my energy goes to calming him down, telling him everything is going to be fine and we can get through this.   I need someone to give me comfort and tell me things will be fine.  So, I just hold it in.  And I come here to vent!!   Everyone here understands and gives me great support.  You have to do what ever works best for you and how your family functions.  My kids are all very knowledgeble about the disease and understand how I deal with things. But, I don't want it to be a big focus in their lives. They have their own families and need to just enjoy their lives.   I look forward to sharing more posts with you. And I know members here can be a big help to you.  It is a great community and we care very much about each other.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »