I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Urine Color?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urine Color?  (Read 9081 times)
Goofy

« on: August 07, 2009, 07:35:31 AM »

Generally my urine is clear.  For the past 5 days, its yellow (not too dark or light).  Would anyone know why that would be?  I’m not on dialysis yet.  (I don’t know if that matters or not).
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »

Hope you get an answer to that, because mine is too. Not only that, but it smells terrible.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »

I remember  a light yellow color
the color of a light yellow rose of Texas
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »

I think it depends on foods and liquids you drink.?
But yellow is a normal color for urine  (isnt it) i wouldnt worry to much.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »

This is too much information, but mine is dark yellow in the morning and gets lighter as the day goes on until clear.  But, I am pre-dialysis.  Also, as with Jean, very strong odor.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:49:57 AM »

Yes its all part of kidney failure , can only tell you its because your kidneys aren't working properly and part of it ,though im not sure may be losing protein as well .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »

protien loss is marked by foamy pee. pale yellow is pretty much normal. dark yellow is a sign of dehydration.
Goofy

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »

Oh, that's probably it.....dehydration.  I forgot, I went to the doc Monday and he told me I was dehydrated.  As for foamy urine, I've had it for so long that I didn't even realize it wasn't "normal".  I didn't realize it was from leaking protein.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »

And that would probably explain why mine starts out darker in the morning and becomes clear by afternoon.  Thanks for that info LL.  Oh yeah, and the foam.  We will talk about anything here, won't we?

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LightLizard

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »

one thing is for certain; this condition we all share has a tendency to educate us about so much!
i guess that's why they say 'ignorance is bliss.' i think i'd rather be healthy and ignorant.
 :waiting;
pamster42000

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »

Sometimes when urine is a darker color than usual and has a strong smell it may be a urinary tract infection.
Restorer

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »

Did you start taking B vitamins? They can cause urine to become more yellow (neon yellow if you get a whole lot extra).

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »

For those dialysis patients that still pass urine(like me) - the clear colour(or rather lack of colour) indicates the severe kidney damage. Basically the yellow in the urine is the passed toxins coming out.. when there's bugger all being filtered by the kidneys due to ESRD the urine that comes out will be pretty clear to the eye indicating the toxins are staying in the body. I'd love to see yellow again! LOL

Now the worst colour that it can come out is rose, or worse merlot........

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

Good news for me in this post though I don't like talking about pee.

I can't seem to get protein level, potassium or phosphrous levels up enough.  I'm wondering (and will ask Dr. O on Monday) is it because  my kidneys are still removing stuff...  Also about to ask if I can go down to 3 1/2 hours I think.  I've adjusted to 4 but my backside still craves just 3 1/2.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »

In terms of reducing dialysis times (remember though, that in general more dialysis is better for your body, even if not your backside!!) it's all about the clearance rate, or URR (Urea Reducion Ratio). Mine got to 82% and they still wouldn't reduce me from 5 hours (d'oh!). Now around 78%. I believe the "pass" rate for the URR is 65%. Zach would know more I'm sure.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »

Since we broached the subject of urine... I have been producing more.  So much so that the last 3 dialysis sessions they have not pulled any fluid off.  They used to pull 3-3.5 liters (they did increase my dry weight too).  The urine is clear and and foamy (thank you for the above comments).  My labs are not any better.  Any ideas??? I do take Lasix twice a day to help with urine production.  ???
LightLizard

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »

hey YLGuy, if i were you i'd talk to my nutritionist about that. i'm sure there are dietary adjustments that could improve your labs pretty quick.
i've found that since i've been drinking 2 ensures a day that my labs are frighteningly normal, and i pee like i did before my kidneys croaked..you want to replace that protien you are losing, but not knowing the particulars of your condition, i can't say more than that.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 12:54:20 AM »

hey YLGuy, if i were you i'd talk to my nutritionist about that. i'm sure there are dietary adjustments that could improve your labs pretty quick.
i've found that since i've been drinking 2 ensures a day that my labs are frighteningly normal, and i pee like i did before my kidneys croaked..you want to replace that protien you are losing, but not knowing the particulars of your condition, i can't say more than that.
Wow! I see, said the blind man.  This just happens to coincide with the fact that a friend of mine bought me 2 cases of Nepro. Again, I love this site. Thank you.
LightLizard

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »

that is a very good friend! ensure is too dang expensive for my budget. but the kidney foundation in canada pays for it, otherwise, i'd be ensure-less...

and you are very welcome, my friend. keep us posted, hey?

;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:10:19 AM by LightLizard » Logged
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

In my case, I think Pamster is right about the UTI. Had one a few months ago and have no other symptoms, lucky me. 

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »