I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  lucky & confused
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lucky & confused  (Read 1785 times)
susan parry

« on: September 08, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »

i have been ready all of your posts and you seem to be very knowledgeable about your transplants (how many matches, etc...)  i know nothing about my kidney donor-just she was 46 and had b + blood.  i have tried to ask my surgeon and he says what difference does it make? 

i am also wondering if they will continue to drop my meds-i am currently on

prograff 1 mg (4 per day)
cellcept 250 mg (4 per day)
rapamune 1 mg (2 per day)
valcyte 450 mg 1 per day

i am one month post transplant-creatine is steady at 1.0

also am getting conflicting information on medicare-transplant  social workers say i must enroll month 12 (next july) medicare says i can wait until month 30 - i have excellent health insurance through work but my rx insurance has a $10,000 per year cap on it
any info would be appreciated

thanks for listening

PKD
On the list 7/23/09
deceased donor transplant 8/5/09
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

Hi,
I can only think that they will cut the valcyte at 3 to 6 months post tx, that is the rage I have been reading through here and different tx boards. Some people are kept on 3 different anti-rejection meds while some are not, it depends on your facility and your body. As far as information, skip the surgeon and ask the nurse instead. That was a lame excuse he gave you and that information is part of your medical history. If the nurse doesn't give it, go to your coordinator, if they do not give it, go higher up at that center/hospital. Although you won't get specific information about the donor, you will have to try writing letters to the donor family, but don't expect information, they may not want to share and it's a touchy subject.

Now as far as Medicare goes, I have no idea, but that process should have been suggested way before the transplant. It is a long process and you may get rejected the first attempt. I would start by calling Medicare themself than rely on Social Worker. If in doubt, go directly to  the main source (also talk with a real person instead of searchng Medicares website first, do that later)

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »

Your private insurance is primary but Medicare could be secondary and pick up what your private insurance doesn't pay.  You have to be on dialysis 30 months before Medicare becomes primary.  Now, you may have not ever been on dialysis.  Medicare will pay, secondary or primary depending on your month count for 36 months or three years after your transplant.  Medicare does have a $96 a month premium so you would have to figure out if that is worth it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »