I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 05:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  handicapped?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: handicapped?  (Read 13366 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 06:24:09 PM »

Oh man I was swearing when I found this out.  And you all KNOW when I am upset the mouth goes potty mouth on me.  I cursed all the way to dialysis then growled at them about it last night!  All I could say was WTF? about it.  If the leg grow back, good no sticker needed, but people with a limp and a cane get a permanent placard.  Sheez!  So he is going to ask the rehadilitation doctor for apermanent placard.  If that does not work I am going to ask the soacia worker to give me one. We can beat the ssytem one way or another. lol.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
omapat

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 10:50:50 PM »

When I went blind I was given one, that was about 6 years ago, every one loves to take me to LA & San Franscisco because you don't have to feed any meters with a DP placecard! & and the tolls are free too, I also use it in Las Vegas go right to the front of the line. AND Epoman I know what you mean about the nasty stares I can "feel" them!
You can get 1/2 off all state & federal parks with it too. OR better yet you can get a golden card free to get it free for life!
Get one, if you don't like it you don't have to use it. But for the driver its just a small bit more reason to take you somewhere.

OmaPat
LT514

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 08:07:23 PM »

I was given one three years ago because I was really ill. It depends on the doctor. If you explain your situation, they will assess why you need it, and if you should have it. It's really in their hands..

Leslie Taylor
1989 - Diagnosed with ESRD/CKD; began PD
1991 - Transplant from my mom
3/2000 - Transplant rejection, began in-center hemo
8/2000 - Deceased donor transplant #2
11/2003 - Rejection
07/2005: Deceased donor transplant #3 - R.I.P Steven Ecklid
04/2007: Graduated with an MSW
10/2007: Began working as dialysis social worker

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will get by, I will survive - Grateful Dead
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »

I never asked any of mine because honestly .. they didn't even want to approve me for even disability at first! I have no confidence in them understanding my situation .. EVER :( :'(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 04:13:07 AM »

I given up trying to get a permit, I couldnt be bothered explaining why I sometimes might need one. Usually Im fine, but there are those days were you feel like shit and the neuropathy pain makes it unbearable to walk, but you still have to go to the shops!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 12:00:52 PM »

Ya especially with our health when you never know when you might not be able to walk as far. I remember last year when I had pneumonia and Peritonitis and couldn't even stand much less walk very far ... the hallway to my apartment even seemed like it would go on forever (now my apartment manager moved me even farther to the farthest apartment at the very end of the hall ... people have said to me "you would think after the last time that she would have put you near the elevator, especially since when  you first moved into the building she moved you to the apartment right beside hers in case you needed any help.." I just hope I don't get that sick again .. but I have learned .. without kidneys anything (bad) can happen :(

So anyone driving probably should have a disability parking permit. I mean, we do have to go out and get food once in awhile and pick up our medication...

But since I don't have a car anymore .. I just walk everywhere or ride my bicycle. (I miss a car ... but it is just too expensive to get one again no matter HOW old.)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
GuyIncognito

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 05:56:48 PM »

I have to admit after parking with my wife in the expecting mothers spot I AM SPOILED and there is no going back... first thing next week I'm going after the handicap sticker... shouldn't be too hard I did just have two stints put in my right leg (However after the operation the leg is 100% but I won't tell if you don't)
 At 27 years of age I should probably feel guilty but seeing as my peer group is actually people generally over 50 I don't really have an issue.

Some of those spots are so wide you could park sideways.... which means no doors bumping into the VW and also you could just park sideways.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 09:10:05 AM »

I've been meaning to get a handicap bus/subway farecard.  Just haven't got around to it.     :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2006, 09:56:02 PM »

When I went blind I was given one, that was about 6 years ago, every one loves to take me to LA & San Franscisco because you don't have to feed any meters with a DP placecard! & and the tolls are free too

Do you mean that Bridge Toll to San Francisco is free if you have a handicap sticker?  I pay everyday.   :o

I have had a handicap sticker since I was 17 due to Cystic Fibrosis.  It keeps getting renewed and I don't complain.  Though I am not one to abuse it because I like walking, but if it's raining and I have a cold... I am whipping that bad boy out!

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
Toni

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

You should qualify.  Get the form from your dialysis social worker and have your nephrologist complete and sign the form. 
Fox_nc

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »

Ok - I'm inspired! I hit my state's DMV site and pulled up the form and regulations.  Looks easy enough ... I'll just print it out and get doc to sign it next week.  Worse he can say is no, right.  I just got out of the hospital today and I soooo do not feel up to walking anywhere!  I can get a temp one here for 6 months or one for 5 years.  Even if I only need it for a short time, why not use it?  That's what the program is there for, right? 

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »

Ok - I'm inspired! I hit my state's DMV site and pulled up the form and regulations.  Looks easy enough ... I'll just print it out and get doc to sign it next week.  Worse he can say is no, right.  I just got out of the hospital today and I soooo do not feel up to walking anywhere!  I can get a temp one here for 6 months or one for 5 years.  Even if I only need it for a short time, why not use it?  That's what the program is there for, right? 
Exactly!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 02:40:20 PM »

Should you get a placard if you need one, yes without a doubt.  Should you get one just because you are a dialysis patient and want the "perks" if you don't really need one, no without a doubt.  I see a ton of fraud in the use of those cards almost every day.  For example the bright shiny SUV's, the showroom new BMW's, and Mercedes being driven by snobby teenagers and young adults who open the door and sprint off into the mall or movie theater.  In alot of these cases a card might have been obtained by someone who is disabled but is then used by other perfectly able bodied family members who are too lazy to walk or want their car payment to remain dentless.  It just amazes me to no end that the majority of handicapped parking spaces around here are occupied by the finest, most expensive vehicles a person could hope to see.  Yes disabled persons are driving some of those cars but I'll bet not most.  The placard system doesn't work very well because it is so open to abuse.  It should be done another way.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 04:24:33 PM »

But then there is my husband who lost the bottom part of his leg due to a work injury; his doctor will only give us a six month at a time disabled placard. We do not own a BMW or a shiny new car, just old 1999 and 2000 cars.  Is his foot going to grow back? If so in six months when the placard runs out?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2006, 06:12:25 PM »

But then there is my husband who lost the bottom part of his leg due to a work injury; his doctor will only give us a six month at a time disabled placard. We do not own a BMW or a shiny new car, just old 1999 and 2000 cars.  Is his foot going to grow back? If so in six months when the placard runs out?

Kit, you get one.  At least you will have one in the family.  You should be able to get one for ESRD.

Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 08:42:31 PM »

I'm trying to decide whether to get a handicapped sticker for winter use.
I'm doing good walking and want the exercise but after having my hand
broken, I'm scared of walking a long way on snow and ice.  Always was
anyway, but especially now.  I don't want any more broken bones!!!!!!!
Besides I am always so cold if I had to walk a long way in the cold, I'd
probably have hypothermia.  I think my gp would give me a prescription
for one or whatever I need for it.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

I'm trying to decide whether to get a handicapped sticker for winter use.

Go get the the parking permit, absolutely.  Your health comes first!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 07:50:40 AM »

I'm trying to decide whether to get a handicapped sticker for winter use. ...

GET THE STICKER!!!  You won't have to use it all of the time, but when you do need it you'll have it!

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:54 AM »

I talked to my gp's nurse about it. 
She'll talk to doc and I imagine I'll get what I need for one.
I probably shouldn't feel this way but it makes me feel like this
disease has taken it's first step in defeating me.  I'm trying to
keep my life as normal as possible  and this is not normal.
It is hard for me to deal with.

while I am doing this.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »

When Jenna was attending the city college here I would drive her to class and drop her in the blue-curbed cul-de-sac marked "HANDICAP DROP OFF ONLY - NO PARKING" and also pick her up there afterwards. (The next closest place to drop off is about 2 blocks away as the curbs surrounding the campus are either red or permit only.) One day I asked her boyfirend to take my car and go pick her up. He called me a short time later, very upset, and said that a college police office had written him a parking ticket for picking her up. It was a $220 ticket!! I took it to the campus police office and asked what was the reason. The recruit on duty said "You must have a Calif. issued Handicapped Placard to use the drop off." I said "WHAT the heck, he wasn't parking, he was picking up a student who is one of your Disabled Students, registered with the Office of Disabled Students!" I explained that we don't have a parking pass because Jenna doesn't drive, never has, and that we never park on campus. He basically said too bad. So as my voice got louder and I was demanding to have the ticket waived, the sergeant came out - made me calm down and explain it again. He said that there was nothing that could be done, and that I could explain it to the judge in 3 weeks. No. I am not going to do that, I told him. I am going over to the College President's office and I am going to wait there until he can see me. And then I am going to ask him to explain it to me. You need to train your staff about things like this, about helping disabled people, not making it worse. I am going to make sure that this never happens to anyone again. He then said he would waive the ticket "this one time" but that we had to get a Handicap Placard in the future. When we got to dialysis the social worker said, "oh, of course she qualifies, I have the forms in my office, let's get her a placard." It's such a joke - it doesn't seem right. Now Jenna's is taking a break from school and we haven't used the placard at all. But I guess it's nice to know we have it if we get stuck at a hospital driving around forever looking for a parking place!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:58:35 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

That is ridiculous that they would do that.
They are so misused. 
Like a wife using her husband's when there is nothng wrong with her.
I always feel like they should be available for those who need them most.
I'm hoping for a mild, very mild winter and I won't even have to use it.

while I am doing this.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 10:43:26 AM »

... I'm hoping for a mild, very mild winter and I won't even have to use it.

And I'm hoping your will use it when you should -- no more broken bones!

Also, keep in mind that all of us who live long enough will eventually need one. :lol;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »

That is probably true.
I just got the message from the doc. office and they have the
pres. for me.  That was quick.