I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Use my fistula for the first time!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use my fistula for the first time!  (Read 2904 times)
meadowlandsnj

« on: September 29, 2006, 04:16:24 PM »

Thursday I got to dialysis and was told today is the day to use the fistula.  I had the operation August 1 so it's been two months.  My nephrologist has been checking it once a week and he told me it was a "beautiful" fistula...... :lol;  So the nurse manager came down and gave me my official kidney squeeze toy and a sample of a skin numbing cream and then she cannulated my fistula.  It honestly wasn't so bad! It didn't really hurt at all.  Afterwards when they pulled the needle out I only held for about 6 minutes so I guess I'm not a bleeder.  They only used to needle to pull the blood out, the catheter returned it.  They didn't use the top part of the fistula yet.  I was told maybe two-three weeks they'll use it. 
So I finished and I was waiting for my ride and the nephrologist walked in and asked me if they used the fistula.  I said yes and he was so happy, he hugged me.  I'm happy also to be getting rid of the catheter at last.   :clap;

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:39:06 PM »

Great, I'm glad you have a good one.   :)

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 07:39:42 PM »

Thursday I got to dialysis and was told today is the day to use the fistula.  I had the operation August 1 so it's been two months.  My nephrologist has been checking it once a week and he told me it was a "beautiful" fistula...... :lol;  So the nurse manager came down and gave me my official kidney squeeze toy and a sample of a skin numbing cream and then she cannulated my fistula.  It honestly wasn't so bad! It didn't really hurt at all.  Afterwards when they pulled the needle out I only held for about 6 minutes so I guess I'm not a bleeder.  They only used to needle to pull the blood out, the catheter returned it.  They didn't use the top part of the fistula yet.  I was told maybe two-three weeks they'll use it. 
So I finished and I was waiting for my ride and the nephrologist walked in and asked me if they used the fistula.  I said yes and he was so happy, he hugged me.  I'm happy also to be getting rid of the catheter at last.   :clap;

I've said it before and I will say it again, DO NOT remove that "cath" until your fistula is working problem free for 2-3 weeks. But I am glad it worked out so well for you. ALSO tell them to DO NOT PUSH down on the guaze until the needle is out. Trust me it is better for your fistula. :cuddle; Now that you are actually using the fistula it will grow much faster due to the pressure of the flow rates. Again congratulations.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 09:02:10 PM »

Don't forget to continue to exercise it!     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »

Great news!  Hope everything continues to go well.  I am soon going to have them check my graft since it is nearly a year that I have been using it.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 02:51:14 AM »

Congratulations..as said, don't forget to exercise the arm.  :clap;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »