I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Crist Signs Alonzo Mourning’s Kidney Disease Bill
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crist Signs Alonzo Mourning’s Kidney Disease Bill  (Read 2081 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: June 12, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

Crist Signs Alonzo Mourning’s Kidney Disease Bill

Gov. Charlie Crist signed legislation Wednesday that will allow end stage renal disease patients under 65 to have Medigap coverage, as he promised he would when former basketball star Alonzo Mourning came to the Capitol in April to lobby for the measure.

And as Mourning, who suffered from kidney disease himself, promised then, he was standing next to the governor as Crist put pen to paper.

The unlikely duo that helped with the full court press this year to increase kidney disease patients’ access to medical care appeared at a Tallahassee dialysis center for the bill signing. They were flanked by patients’ advocates and bill sponsors Sen. Thad Altman and Ritch Workman, both Republicans from the Melbourne area.

Under federal law, Medicare beneficiaries over 65 can already get Medigap coverage, which covers kidney treatments, without having first to spend down their money to become eligible for Medicaid. The bill (HB 675) signed Wednesday by Crist and dubbed the “Alonzo Mourning Access to Care Act” by lawmakers, allows younger patients with end stage renal disease to access the supplementary coverage as well.

Mourning, who was able to resume his playing career with the Miami Heat after a successful kidney transplant, told an audience of patients’ advocates that the change was long overdue because everyone who suffers from the disease is not a former NBA all-star.

“I was blessed enough to have the resources,” he said. “I was blessed enough to be provided with the education so that I could actually know what I was dealing with. I could afford the medications. Everything fell into place and I was able to go through a successful transplantation and get back on my feet and play basketball again.

“By passing this bill, we are now providing access to people facing this tragic disease, giving them a chance to get quality care and preserve their assets,” Mourning continued. “You should not have to exhaust your assets in order to cater to your health care.”

Mourning said that in lobbying for HB 675, he felt like he did more good for Floridians than he did in his career of slam dunks and blocked shots in Miami.

“I feel like I’ve touched more lives off the court than I have on the court,” Mourning told the audience. “The reason for me going through that discomfort was to change other peoples lives in the process. I’m pleased to be a voice - not just here in the state of Florida, but across this country - for people who are dealing with chronic disease.”

Crist praised Mourning’s efforts to convince lawmakers to expand health access for kidney disease patients, saying the bill would affect 11,000 residents.

“When somebody of his celebrity status …undertakes a cause like this and really gets behind it and really pushes it, it’s hard to say no,” Crist said before signing the bill.

“He’s obviously known for being a tremendous athlete - a great basketball player, but Alonzo Mourning is a lot more than that,” Crist continued. “He’s been through a lot personally as it relates to health…to turn all of that and the multitude of gifts that he has been given to help thousands…through this legislation tells you more about the inside of this man than the size and the height of him.” ”

Altman, whose daughter had a kidney failure scare, also praised Mourning’s role in gaining passage of the legislation this year after it stalled last year.

Workman took on the bill early in the process, before Mourning got on board.

“There is no kidney failure in my family; I had no personal experience to point to,” he said. “But when the injustice was explained to me, that folks in my great state have to burn out off all of their assets down to their car (and) get rid of their houses in order be declared indigent simply to get in line to get a transplant, I said this is an injustice.”

The bill becomes law October 1.

http://www.jaxobserver.com/2009/06/11/crist-signs-alonzo-mournings-kidney-disease-bill/
:guitar:

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:39:54 AM »

I need o read this again later after the side effects from my med wears off. For some reason I can't understand this fully.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:30:42 AM »

I need o read this again later after the side effects from my med wears off. For some reason I can't understand this fully.

Basically, what this story is saying is that in FL, starting Oct 1st, ESRD patients younger than 65 and not on any type of private health insurance plan will no longer have to spend themselves into poverty in order to get help paying for their needed dialysis treatment/transplant surgery/meds.  I don't know exactly how many states operate this way, but I know it isn't the majority.  I hope that this will be a sign for other states to do the same thing, but, given the state of the economy, who knows? 

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:58:16 AM »

And as Mourning, who suffered from kidney disease himself,

umm.. suffered "from"??? makes it sound like he's over and done with it. Umm guys.. he had a transplant.. very lucky man but he is STILL suffering from kidney disease!! As we all know a transplant is but a form of treatment.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:14:57 AM »

Basically, what this story is saying is that in FL, starting Oct 1st, ESRD patients younger than 65 and not on any type of private health insurance plan will no longer have to spend themselves into poverty in order to get help paying for their needed dialysis treatment/transplant surgery/meds.  I don't know exactly how many states operate this way, but I know it isn't the majority.  I hope that this will be a sign for other states to do the same thing, but, given the state of the economy, who knows? 

KarenInWA

My state is different, we do not have Medigap. When I was on dialysis and even now, I have to meet a monthly spend down to have Medicaid. I don't mind paying something, but they are taking a big portion of my disability income each month to meet it. Not all my meds are covered and that is an out of pocket expence. Usually we can send in prescriptions we paid for, doctor visits, medical bills, and dental visits to help meet the spend down or now we can pay directly into the system. Well that would be nice in all but they take forever to send us a Medicaid card that we show doctors we have coverage and at the same time I have to pay more and more for past doctor visits that have not been paid for by the system. If they could lower my spend down a little that would be nice,  I would like to get my own place, but meeting the spend down hampers that. Illinois is also going to cut funding and programs for Medicaid to meet a state budget this year. I miss working and having real insurance. At least with insurance from work I would have dental and vision insurance also.

Glad this Gov signed the bill

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012