I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 12:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  First time flying with Nx Stage, tips? What about the pole??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First time flying with Nx Stage, tips? What about the pole??  (Read 2650 times)
funnygarcia

« on: June 08, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

Hello!
My husband will be on his own, flying into Colorado, for a 2 week training session (science teacher).

He has supplies set up to be delivered, has arrangements to pick up the metal airline case from his center, and I have packed his other supplies (gauze, tape, syringes, warmer bags, heparin, etc).

Reading thru past posts on various tips and other Nx Stage user experiences.. the one thing I couldn't find..

How do you pack the pole for the dialysate bags?
Does security allow it for a carry on? or gate check while boarding?
Can he trust the airline to not mangle, lose or otherwise screw things up if it is "checked"?
Did you pack it in a duffel bag, not sure if it would fit? Or wrap it somehow?

How did you handle the trash? Carrying back a used sharps container?

He will be staying on a college campus in a dorm, I'm picturing him sitting on a twin bed surrounded by boxes (two weeks of bagged fluid) in a teeny tiny room  :rofl;

His dialysis nurse spazzed when he said he would not be doing labs for two weeks.
"I'm sure you could use someone's refrigerator"

uhh, sure... let me put my vials of blood next to someone's leftover Chinese food.
Yeah I bet my dorm mates will love that.  ::)
Not to mention, let me lug my centrifuge, mailing kits, and ice packs to ship it too?
DUH!  :urcrazy;

Anyway, any tips would be welcome. Thanks!

swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »

NxStage is shipping a box of warmer bags for my 2 week trip. I need to bring the waste lines. I am thinking about mailing the saline ahead to the hotel because that's not something NxStage will mail. Never thought about the sharps although I use blunts. I'll probably just make sure they are curled up good after use and put into a plastic bag along with the used cartridge/saline.

I do labs once a month. Just did some and will so some after I return. Can't your husband do them before he goes?

I was told we can check the IV pole as is.

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »

How do you pack the pole for the dialysate bags? ---- I was able to take the top off the pole and pack in a suitcase.

Does security allow it for a carry on? or gate check while boarding? ---- No, they made me check it.

Can he trust the airline to not mangle, lose or otherwise screw things up if it is "checked"? ---- No, plan for the worst. I would have slid my bed over to the closet and use the hangers to hand the bags on the closet rod.

Did you pack it in a duffel bag, not sure if it would fit? Or wrap it somehow? ---- Just placed it in my suitcase, it did fine.

How did you handle the trash? ---- Leave it for housekeeping in a black plastic bag. No problem for me.
Carrying back a used sharps container? ---- I got a small sharps container from the medicine mart. Works great in the suitecase.

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
funnygarcia

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »

Looking at the pole. 

It's all one piece (well it does have four tiny screws on the top, a hexagon screw on the side, too fussy) and too long to fit into a suitcase.
I'm thinking bubble wrap.  :thumbup;

He had a recent change from monthly labs to every week.
Weekly is hemoglobin, phosphorus and potassium, we have no qualms skipping it and we think his neph would agree. He's very laid back , compared to the nurse.  ;D

I like the creativity of using hangars for the bags. That's all cool McGuyver style hemo, perfect for a science teacher!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »