I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Weight Gain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weight Gain  (Read 2844 times)
BETTY55111

« on: May 30, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »

Yesterday I choose to skip 2 exchanges. I could not get home well maybe I could have bur anyway, later on by the end of the day I finally got to do 3 more exchanges by staying up real late at night. Today I weigh 7 more pounds. :o I guess I absorbed that solution because I hardly drained half of what I had filled with. Is this what happens when you skip? Today my abdomen is so LARGE I cannot leave the house.  I feel so stuffed. I will never ever do that again. Will it ever go down?
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »

Oh dear Betty!... skipping exchanges is NOT the way to go. Yes you will have absorbed some of the fluid but the most of it is what you are not pulling off by missing dialysis and now you are paying the price for skipping. You really need to pull that fluid off. The best thing to do is use some stronger bags to get it off and watch your fluid intake. It may take you a couple of days now to get that fluid off , it goes on easy , but getting it off isnt as easy! You have only just started dialysis havent you? I know it must be hard for you to fit it in ..but i hate to say it ..this is your life now ..you cant just skip it because you cant fit it in. Anyway you have found out what its like now by skipping it , try a stronger bag to pull it off.  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
BETTY55111

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »

Yes this is my 3rd week on manual dialysis. I did not think it would mater that much. But I have learned that it does.  I am going to use the red bag today and tomorrow hopefully that will help.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »

I find it's a good idea to keep a couple of bags in my car, with caps etc, so that if I get caugt short as it were, I can always do an exchange in a toilet somewhere.  I've found that you can hook the bag on the hinge of the door if there'[s not a hook.  Get used to doing your bags wherever you can -  It's not ideal, but is better than skipping.  You might find you feel a bit tired this week - but don't worry you'll come right.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 04:36:47 AM »

Sorry Betty but you learn as you go along. I hope you get that fluid off quickly. Just one thing if you do exchanges away from home just be careful that everything is clean!!! You dont want any nasty germs!  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
BETTY55111

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »

Kickstart, the excess fluid is already coming off. I feel so much better. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I am learning.
I feel as though I can make it now. Yesterday I was not too sure about anything.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 10:47:14 AM »

Your body needs to be hydrated every day.  If it doesn't get the fluid it needs from your drinking, it will take it wherever it finds it, i.e., dialysate.  Depending on the number you're using (1.5, 2.5, 4.25), your body will absorb anywhere between 800 and 1,000 calories a day from the dextrose.  In 5 year's time I put on 50 pounds.  I finally managed to take it off by riding my stationary bike 10 minutes at a time, 8 times a day.  Are you planning on going on the cycler?  It will sure make your life a lot easier, doing your dialysis all night long, with maybe 1 midday exchange.  Good luck to you!
BETTY55111

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »

Peleroja,
Yes I am going on the Cycler in about 3 or 4 weeks. I also started walking today to try and get rid of some of this weight ::) I don't know if I will keep at it but for now i am going to try.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »

How is it going Betty ? :thumbup;

BETTY55111

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »

Kickstart, Every thing is going fantastic for me right now. I almost feel normal. I guess I am getting used to this Belly that I am carrying around. I already had one but now I really have one. Thanks for asking
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »