I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Baby Logan--Update 6/9/09
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baby Logan--Update 6/9/09  (Read 3007 times)
Jessmomto3

Logan's mom!

« on: June 09, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »

Hi all! 

Well Logan is doing well.  He is now up to 9.4ish kg but occasionally bounces to 9.5 kg.  His nephrologist has decided that 9.5 is enough and they won't make him go to 10 kg.  He still thows up all the time.  I don't think we'll ever get used to that.  All in all, he's doing really well.  He goes for an echo on Wednesday and they will also take a sample of his PD fluid to be sure he is infection free and assuming all that goes well he will be activated.  He's been on the list since Dec and that mixed with his extra points for being a baby and he should get a kidney in the near future.  While I wish everyone could wait less time, I am so glad that he will get one soon as one of our baby friends recently had an issue with his potassium spiking and he went into cardiac arrest and suffered brain injuries.  If you could please keep him in your prayers that would be great.  His name is Aidan. 

This month Logan got peritonitis for the second time.  Thankfully he was happy and running around which I've heard is completely unheard of.  This was his second infection and I still haven't figured out what we did.  We were in the hospital for a few days and then were able to go home.  After a few days at home he got a fever and I checked his bag and sure enough it was cloudy.  I was thinking all sorts of horrible thoughts like maybe it was a fungal infection since we've been working on a yeasty diaper rash.  Or I was thinking it was an antibiotic resistant infection.  Even his nephrologist was at a bit of a loss.  But, it turned out that because he still has the ability to urinate so well they needed to double the dose of antibiotics.  After they did that, he's done much better.

I am working on trying to educate people on organ donation, both live and deceased.  I think if more people made their wishes known to their families before their death we wouldn't have such a shortage.  I don't know how much I can get accomplished but I'm sure trying.  Logan will probably need several transplants in his lifetime since he is starting out with his first at 1. 

Anyway, he is running around like crazy and is such an awesome little boy.  There are days when I get so down but then I try to think that if he's not, why should I be?  I am praying for all of you and thanks for welcoming us into this community.  Someday Logan himself may be the one typing to you guys. 

Jessica--mommy to Cristian (8), Jaden (4), and our miracle boy Logan (2/23/08)

Logan had PD cath, g-tube, and mediport placement at 4 1/2 months-- 7/2008
started PD at 5 1/2 months--8/2008
Listed--12/2008--inactive
Activated--8/2009

Cadaveric Kidney Transplant 9/4/2009 (18 months old)!!!!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »

Thanks for the update and I hope Logan gets his kidney soon.

You need to start writing your congressmen on Presumed Conscent.  That way everyone would be a presumed donor unless the family says otherwise.  Everyone would be a presumed donor.  People don't like to think about it much less when their loved one is laying there on life support.  Kidney donation seems so easy.... I mean most people have 2. 

Best of luck!

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:11:47 AM »

Aww god bless him little lamb... :bunny: sends him a big cuddle !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »

This is the kind  of post that makes me tear up and makes me ashamed for all the "sorry for myself" routines that I go through.  Oh my, continue to love and care for that little one.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

:waving; Logan and Mom.

Thx for checking in :thumbup;
Sorry to hear he got periontitus but SO glad to hear he is as always such a happy little fella.
You still havre many prayers coming to you all for a kidney.
Also glad to see he is gaining weight.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »

Jess, I will keep a good thought for Logan, and also for little Aidan (I have an Aidan of my own!) I really hope Logan gets his kidney soon - dialysis is no place for a baby.

Thank you for trying to spread the word about donation. The more educated and passionate voices we have working with us, the better. I agree with Rerun that opt-out would help enormously.

Best wishes to your sweet boy. And don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »

Good thoughts coming your way!

Aidan is in my prayers. Thank you for working on raising awareness.  :waving;
george40

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »

Baby Logan is always in my prayers. Thank God he has such a wonderful mother. Keep hanging in there.

8/2000 - Diagnosed ESRD / Hemo begins with perm cath
1/2002 - Transplant No. 1
4/2006 - Transplant failed due to CMV virus/ Back to Hemo
11/2008 - Moved to PD Modality
9/2012 - Transplanted!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »

Thanks for the update.  Logan and his friend are in our prayers.  Good luck with the kidney - hope it comes miraculously soon!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »

Prayers for Logan and Aidan  :cuddle;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »