I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 04:20:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My fistala looks funny
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My fistala looks funny  (Read 4310 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« on: May 23, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »

does part of it suddenly start bulging out?  Is it about to burst?  The long part barelyl shows

EDITED:Moved to general discussion area-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:12:08 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Pam

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »

I got my fistula in Dec and have been using for 3 weeks. I does the same thing. Has a bulge on the end. It's checked at each seeion and no one has said a thing.
Pam
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:38:58 PM »

whew.  thanks.  I don't go back till monday so I'll relax about it.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »

I need more info about my fistala.... on Thursday I am scheduled for a Cardioversion.  I was concerned about the cath in the heart and a shock to the heart at the same time was was assured it is safe.  Now my concern is that they are not supposed to use my left arm for anything.  During the procudure they will have to give an IV and also maintain a bloodpressure cup.  How can they possible to both on the same arm??? right arm???  I'll ask on Monday but if anybody has an answer now I'd appreciate it.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »

It sounds like your fistula is doing great!  Mine got big underneath, but never protruded outwards.  If I had to have started dialysis they would have made sure a nurse could hit it first, and if not the surgeon was going to go back in and move it closer to the surface.  And he did that originally when he created the fistula, but apparently he didn't move it close enough.

Oh, and they might do an IV in your neck or something during your surgery???  Blood pressure, I'm not sure.  They will have to figure that out.
Just tell them to mark your arm, or you do it yourself with a Sharpie, stating DO NOT USE THIS ARM FOR ANYTHING!!    And I am serious!  Mark your arm.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pam

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:45 PM »

When I got my fistula I asked the surgeon about using fingers on Lhand for blood tests. He said no problem and that if needed they could put an IV in that hand. Just NO BP cuffs.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »

I was told absolutely nothing to that arm.

I was getting iron shots for a while before transplant and when I went in they wouldn't even give me the shot in that arm - and they give the shot in the back of the arm.  Same thing when I was in the hospital for transplant.  They didn't use that arm for anything.  Not even blood sugar testing.

Actually, my fistula quit working shortly after transplant and I still refuse to use that arm even though they have now said it is usable again.  I'm just too scared.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »

During the procudure they will have to give an IV and also maintain a bloodpressure cup.  How can they possible to both on the same arm??? right arm???  I'll ask on Monday but if anybody has an answer now I'd appreciate it.

They can put an IV and a bp cuff on the same arm -- or at least, they've done this to Marvin thousands of times.  Also, the bp cuff can go on the lower leg -- Marvin's had that, too.  Or, an IV in the neck -- been there, done that with Marv, too.  Marvin's also had an IV in the top of his foot -- painful !

Kelly's right -- protect the fistula arm with all your might and strength and voice.  Write on it.  Make them put a sign on your chart, your bed, your forehead if you have to.  I have written on Marvin's fistula arm many, many times with a permanent marker -- DO NOT USE THIS ARM FOR ANYTHING !!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:45:24 PM by petey » Logged
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »

i was told the same think Kellyt said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON THAT ARM.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »

My fistula was in my left upper arm and so they took bp on my right arm and "hand stick" IV's on my right "hand".  Now that I still have my left upper arm fistula AND an new fistula started in my right arm they take BP on my right lower leg but still do hand IV on my right "hand" . 

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »

gee whiz guys...

DW, I have no particular insight, but a sudden change should be looked at,
Pam, don't trust that they are actually evaluating when they look. Ask them and that way you're sure that they've noticed the bulging and that it means development.

And now, let me pile on...
MARK YOUR ACCESS ARM WITH A MARKER WITH THE DO NOT USE MESSAGE ON IT. I cannot tell you how many times I have stopped them even though there's been a sign over the bed. 

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 05:06:46 AM »

Wow.  Thanks.  I'll make sure they can read the notes of my left arm.  Didn't know they could do BP on the leg.  That'll lbe the way to go.

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 05:44:13 AM »

I am always surprised whenever I have a procedure , I always state not to use my right arm... some nurses understand, but most don't

I don't even allow them to but my bracelet on my right arm.

Nothing, zip, zilch, nadda I don't even like them to look at it :boxing; :boxing;

http://www.kimhoben.com
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 05:52:34 AM »

Otto's bulges also, Dr's all LOVE his fistula. Also when we go to Hospital I take a Black PERMANENT marker and write on his arm DO NOT USE THIS ARM from his wrist to his shoulder as we found to many people wanting to do BP's and labs and the Dr's said that's a no-no. The Dr's always get a kick out of it

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »

Lola I like your Chutzpah  ;D

http://www.kimhoben.com
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 06:38:30 AM »

Doesn't sound to sophistocated .. oh wait, this is dialysis.  It's even sophistocated here to pee in a measuring cup.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 07:38:40 AM »

DW...I think it's more a """miracle""" to pee in a measuring cup.     :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »

But I only have one measuring cup!  Imagine what happens when I make my bisquits.....

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »

DW, for my infusions, they only use my right arm for both the iv and the blood pressure cuff.  No problem.  During the nuclear stress test, they iv'd my arm and used my leg for the cuff.   Just don't let them use your fistula arm for anything!   Use Lola's marker and write on your arm.     And, I am not eating bisquits at your house  :rofl;   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
esherman77

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »

]I agree, don't let them touch that arm  :boxing; :boxing;. Right now I have them taking blood pressures on my right foot. If I let them use the left food it causes a lot of pain because I have Charcoat food which is a diabetic condition that deteriorates the bones in my feet. Anyway, so all they have is my right foot to work on. Oh, and the reason they can't use any arm: I have an active graph in my left arm and a HeRO device in the right. Although we are using the right arm for dialysis we are trying to keep the left arm going (even though I only get about 40% clearance out of that arm.

EDITED: Took out color and size tags-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:32:02 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Elaine

REMEMBER: YOUR ARE YOUR BEST ADVOCATE. IF YOU DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL!!!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:09:16 AM »

totally! nothing on the fistula arm!!

Mine bulges out and throbs etc (which leads to some amusing comments best imagined since this is a family forum) but yeah that's quite normal Dan.. well it's funny to talk about "normal" when you've got kidney failure, but you know what I mean :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:30 AM »

A bulge may indicate a Pseudo Aneurysm which is not good.  A Pseudo Aneurysm is a thinning of the vessel wall and they should not stick it. 

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:14 AM »

I had my fistula needled for the first time yesterday. Today I have noticed a slight bulge just above where the needle went in. Don't know whether or not that's normal.

Ken
serpico

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »

I call my left arm the Frankenstein arm!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »

Insert Quote
I call my left arm the Frankenstein arm!

That's ripe. The kids at school love to touch my husband's arm.  :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »