I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Hubby has had his PD catheter inserted - here we go!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hubby has had his PD catheter inserted - here we go!!  (Read 2664 times)
bevvy5

« on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »

I've been lurking for quite a while, posted once on another thread and in the intro section.  I expect I will be posting a bit more as Greg and I embark on this journey.

Greg had a rather large hernia repaired and his catheter inserted on Monday.  They were worried about infection so he just got out of hospital today. 

First question - his nephrologist is saying it will be two months before he starts dialysis training - the hernia repair needs to heal.  When we went to the PD clinic today to have the catheter flushed and dressing changed, they scheduled appointments in four weeks.  Yes, we told them what the doctor had said, they smiled and nodded and gave us a schedule with training in ... four weeks.

I guess I have two questions.  One, I'm assuming that we should go with what the doctor says and that it likely will be two months, not one?  Does that sound logical?  We are hoping to keep some semblance of a life going through this, so getting a handle on scheduling and so forth.

My other question or observation is that it's been surprising how much you have to keep on top of things yourself.  I'm not complaining, Greg and I are reasonably competent people.  But just little things, like battling while he was in the hospital to have the bananas and potatoes taken off his tray and making sure he got food he can actually eat.  Or explaining to one of the nurses on the ward he was on what the catheter was for.  She was determined it must be to drain something out of him!!

And lord love his sister, who when we got home sent the encouraging note that the worst is behind us and we can get on with life now.  We love her dearly and don't expect her to understand what a life changing thing this is, but the comment struck both Greg and I as funny.

However, with all of that, we are thankful that the technology and treatment is available to deal with this.  Greg's philosophy is, "Hey, they coulda given me six months before checkout, no negotiating."

Thanks for listening.

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:15:52 PM »

Sorry I can't answer the one month two month thing - I guess double check with the PD Clinic and ask them why their time frame is different to the neph.  Good luck with everything.  Keep being on the ball - dialysis is soooo much better with caregivers like you keeping watch!!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »

Hi, Bevvy. I would definitely get the training schedule thing straightened out before the month is up. If you miss dialysis appointments it puts bad marks on your record (as being non-compliant). You don't want that!  :o

Yes, stay on top of everything! You and Greg know what he needs better than someone who has just come on their shift!

Oh, yes. The worst is now behind you!  :rofl; But, do get on with life!  :2thumbsup;

Take care,
Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »

:cuddle; Bev, I'm sorry I can't answer your questions but some PD folks will be along and help you out. I would call the Neph and ask him what the schedule should be I always take things nurses say with a gain of salt. Let us know how things go.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »

Hi Bevvy5.

I had the catheter placed about 6weeks before I started training. At the time it was very frustrating, I just wanted to get on with it. But it does give the site time to heal properly before you fill it with fluid and put all that pressure on the incision. I am sure Greg and yourself will get the hang of the routine quickly once he starts.

I would give Gregs sister some information on ESRD and dialysis. The clinic will be able to give you some printed information. She just doesn't understand, you will have to educate her.   :bow;

And lastly... What Hospital ward was Greg in to have the nurse be so confused!! That is just ridiculous. It would be written in his chart if she didn't understand what it was. I would complain about that one!

Goodluck to Greg. I hope he does well on PD.   :waving;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
bevvy5

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »

He was in a general post op surgical ward, I guess is the best way to describe it.  I think the confusion was that the larger issue was the hernia repair, that's what they were focussing on.  Usually the catheter insertion is simply day surgery so I guess it confused them.   It was just funny (not ha ha funny, but odd funny) to have the nurse come in to check his wound and ask, "What's this for?  Are we draining something with this?"  I thought she was kidding but she wasn't.   

We'll probably phone the nephrologist's office on Monday, have her check with the doctor to see what the scheduling is, then call the PD clinic if there should be a change.  We see his nephrologist two weeks before the training is set to begin so we have a bit of time to sort it out.

Thanks - there will be many more questions, I know.

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »

I don't see that you mentioned where the hernia was located.  If the hernia and the position of the catheter are in the same place pretty much, I can definitely see the need for caution.  You actually have two surgeries to heal, so I can see the need for a longer period of timel.  I recently had another PD catheter inserted and it didn't work, so they had to do "revision" surgery (I think that's the medical term for screwed up!).  The only reason they started my dialysis so quickly was because they were hoping the fluid would prevent any further adhesions.  I'm happy to say I'm completely back on dialysis now.  Hang in there, your turn is coming!
Jenabcd

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

Hi Bevvy, 
Personally, I would call the dr. and tell him what the nurse said, about starting dialysis in 4 weeks;  let him deal with the dialysis nurse/clinic and make sure it's straight. 

You are right... you have to stay on top of your own health.  I was in the hospital for 4 days last month.  I went in via the E.R., sick sick sick.  After a few hours, I told the nurse that I am going to have to do an exchange somehow, whenever possible.  I heard the nurse go out in the hall and start asking questions.  The other nurses were saying that they didn't know what to do!  I called out "Nevermind, I will have my son go to my house and get my supplies."  When that was done, a nurse went & talked to my son and said "she can do that herself, right?"   They were clueless.  I was admitted, and when nobody knew what to do on the floor, my husband was there by that time, and I asked him to go & get my machine, bags, and everything else.  On my fourth and last day, a nurse came in and said "I see you're on PD;  are you dwelling"    God bless her!!  Where had she been all week. lol   I know this got too long, but the point is you DO have to keep on top of things yourself. 

Good luck to you both -- you can do it!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »