I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Natalie Cole got a transplant
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Natalie Cole got a transplant  (Read 8216 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »

I am afraid that people will think it is quick and easy to get a kidney       ???
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 03:44:56 PM »

That is such a good point, Twirl.

Look, it only takes a couple months. What's all the fuss about kidney donation.  >:(

I hope she takes the high road and really promotes kidney donation. She is in the perfect postion to do that.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »

I can't see her doing that, she told Larry Kings audience that dialysis is a breeze   :boxing;

http://www.kimhoben.com
jdy123

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »

I truly believe she got the kidney so fast because she is a celebrity!  I'm listed with Cedar Sinai for four years now and absolutely no news.  I just go see them once a year and every year, they say, "Hang in there.  It will be soon".  It just makes me so mad.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »

I would like to think that her transplant was not in any way related to the fact that she's a celebrity and rich.  However, my head tells me that's not the case.  I don't know all the facts (and we probably never really will), but my gut feeling right now is that she "moved up" and got her transplant because of who she is.  And, quite frankly, that thought makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm afraid that cases like this will do more harm for kidney donations in the future than it does good.  Many people don't want to be donors (even cadaveric ones) because of the misinformation about the process of donation.  I'm afraid that now even more potential donors will think again about consent-to-donate because they think the system isn't "fair" (i.e., the rich and famous get them, the "average" man must wait his turn and hope it comes).

Also, from what I saw in her Larry King Live interview, I don't want this woman to be a spokesman for people like my husband who are living on dialysis and waiting for a transplant.  It's not some glorious "show" -- let's face it, dialysis is tough.  For anyone to go on national tv and make out like it's nothing that big doesn't speak for my husband.  She may have been on dialysis for not quite a year, but she certainly hasn't "walked a mile" in Marvin's shoes -- I don't care what she claims!

So, I'm mad about it.

I asked my husband Marvin for his thoughts.  He's been on dialysis twice -- from March of 1995 until July of 2000 (living donor -- me) and then again from October of 2003 until the present.  On May 28, 2009 (next Thursday), Marvin will have his 2,000th dialysis treatment.  All total, his name has been on the UNOS list for almost 11 years.  Here's what Marvin thinks about it:

Marvin said, "It does seem rather 'suspicious' that she got a transplant so soon, and I'm thinking that it is because she's a celebrity.  That disappoints me -- because if she got a transplant because of who she is and not because of the 'luck of the draw' that often times means some people don't have to wait as long, well that means I live in a society that places more value on her life than they do on mine.  I'm not mad; a dialysis patient got a transplant.  For that, I'm very glad for her.  I'm glad that she doesn't have to do dialysis anymore.  I'm glad that there's one more name OFF the list -- I just wish it had been mine or the name of someone who's struggled as long and as hard as I have.  I wish this particular transplant could have come in time to save the life of someone who died waiting on the list.  And, I wish that the thousand or so people who called and volunteered to be tested for her after she appeared on Larry King Live would agree to be tested for someone else who's waiting.  If she really wants to help those of us who are 'like her' and on dialysis and waiting, she would use her celebrity status to encourage those who volunteered for testing for her to be tested for 1,000 of the rest of us.  Now, that would be a terrific impact on the world of donation and transplantation!   If she got her transplant because of who she is, that's not fair.  And while Life itself is never fair, it's times like these that make the unfairness of it all pretty hard to swallow."
redz812

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 06:14:48 AM »

Here's the scoop from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/21/natalie.cole.transplant/index.html
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

The more I hear the sicker it's making me...

Maybe we need a march ,  We have NO Kidneys... Our God**** brains still work !!!!

http://www.kimhoben.com
Meinuk

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »

Well after reading the CNN story from Redz812's link, I feel better about it (as long as everyone involved is telling the truth).  Yes, it sucks that she has more fans than we do, but you have to look at it like a living donor situation.  Someone wanted to give her a kidney and they did. 

Anyone can bequeath a kidney, in most cases, it actually works.  Some times there are situations where the procurement agency does not give the kidney to the intended (there have been lawsuits) but in this case, a fan (or fan's family) wanted her to get it, it was a match and end of story.

I am glad the the procurement people are not guilty of favoritism.  Just like when I was in center and someone got a UNOS kidney, you can't help but feel a pang of "why not me?" - this is the same - just on a larger scale.  Let's wish her good health and move on. 

Here is the text from the CNN link:

CNN story from Redz812's link

Natalie Cole kidney came from deceased fan

By Alan Duke
CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Natalie Cole's search for a new kidney ended this week when someone with a compatible organ died and their family asked that it be given to the singer, according to the organ procurement group that handled the donation.

Cole, who underwent a successful kidney transplant at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles Tuesday, was "responding well and recuperating" Thursday, her publicist said.

Cole had been on what she called "a very long list" of people waiting for an organ donation when she got word recently that OneLegacy, an organ procurement agency in Southern California, had a kidney that was a biological match.

It was a "directed donation" from a deceased organ donor, according to OneLegacy CEO Tom Mone.

"Having heard of Ms. Cole's need for a kidney, the family asked that one of their loved one's kidneys be transplanted to Ms. Cole if they were a match," Mone said.

Directed organ donations are rare, and rarer still are those directed to someone not related to or known personally by the deceased, he said.

The donor will remain anonymous until the family gives permission for the name to be made public, he said.

Cole's need for a kidney donation was highly publicized, including with an appearance on CNN's "Larry King Live" on March 31.

"I'm on a very long list, which is why we are looking to donors," said Cole, the daughter of legendary crooner Nat King Cole.

Cole said her kidney troubles date to February 2008 when she was diagnosed with Hepatitis C. Cole said she attributes the Hepatitis C to her well-publicized struggles to stop using cocaine and heroin. Cole said she has been sober for some time now after two stints in a rehabilitation clinic.

Cole said she underwent chemotherapy in an aggressive way to fight the virus. Within four months of getting chemotherapy, both of Cole's kidneys failed.

"I couldn't breathe. I -- I went into -- literally, my kidneys stopped functioning. They stopped, you know, processing the fluid that was starting to build up in my body."

Since then Cole has been on dialysis three days a week and has been searching for a kidney, she told King in one of the first public interviews about the issue.

Cole won six Grammys for her 1991 critically acclaimed album "Unforgettable: With Love," a jazzy tribute to her father. She won a Grammy this year for her new album "Still Unforgettable" and another Grammy for her work on another album.

Cole was still able to tour this year even with her kidney ailment. She canceled a planned show last week in South Korea because of her illness, which meant she was in Los Angeles when the organ became available.

"I have been on dialysis in Istanbul, Milan, Indonesia, Manila, London. It's -- it's amazing," Cole said.

During King's show, dozens of people sent e-mails to CNN telling Cole that they would get tested to see if their kidney could be donated.

King handed a thick stack of paper to Cole.

"These are all e-mails from dozens -- dozens of people offering to be tested to see if they can match, who want to give you a kidney," King said.

Cole stared at the papers for a moment.

"There are some great human beings out there. That's all I can say," Cole said.

Cole is expected to return to the tour after three to four months of recovery.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:33:31 AM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »

I would like to think that her transplant was not in any way related to the fact that she's a celebrity and rich.  However, my head tells me that's not the case.  I don't know all the facts (and we probably never really will), but my gut feeling right now is that she "moved up" and got her transplant because of who she is.  And, quite frankly, that thought makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm afraid that cases like this will do more harm for kidney donations in the future than it does good.  Many people don't want to be donors (even cadaveric ones) because of the misinformation about the process of donation.  I'm afraid that now even more potential donors will think again about consent-to-donate because they think the system isn't "fair" (i.e., the rich and famous get them, the "average" man must wait his turn and hope it comes).

Also, from what I saw in her Larry King Live interview, I don't want this woman to be a spokesman for people like my husband who are living on dialysis and waiting for a transplant.  It's not some glorious "show" -- let's face it, dialysis is tough.  For anyone to go on national tv and make out like it's nothing that big doesn't speak for my husband.  She may have been on dialysis for not quite a year, but she certainly hasn't "walked a mile" in Marvin's shoes -- I don't care what she claims!

So, I'm mad about it.

I asked my husband Marvin for his thoughts.  He's been on dialysis twice -- from March of 1995 until July of 2000 (living donor -- me) and then again from October of 2003 until the present.  On May 28, 2009 (next Thursday), Marvin will have his 2,000th dialysis treatment.  All total, his name has been on the UNOS list for almost 11 years.  Here's what Marvin thinks about it:

Marvin said, "It does seem rather 'suspicious' that she got a transplant so soon, and I'm thinking that it is because she's a celebrity.  That disappoints me -- because if she got a transplant because of who she is and not because of the 'luck of the draw' that often times means some people don't have to wait as long, well that means I live in a society that places more value on her life than they do on mine.  I'm not mad; a dialysis patient got a transplant.  For that, I'm very glad for her.  I'm glad that she doesn't have to do dialysis anymore.  I'm glad that there's one more name OFF the list -- I just wish it had been mine or the name of someone who's struggled as long and as hard as I have.  I wish this particular transplant could have come in time to save the life of someone who died waiting on the list.  And, I wish that the thousand or so people who called and volunteered to be tested for her after she appeared on Larry King Live would agree to be tested for someone else who's waiting.  If she really wants to help those of us who are 'like her' and on dialysis and waiting, she would use her celebrity status to encourage those who volunteered for testing for her to be tested for 1,000 of the rest of us.  Now, that would be a terrific impact on the world of donation and transplantation!   If she got her transplant because of who she is, that's not fair.  And while Life itself is never fair, it's times like these that make the unfairness of it all pretty hard to swallow."

I totally agree with petey. I kind of pissed.  :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
staceyand joe92

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »

I'm confused....the news article says that a deceased donor's family made a direct donation to Cole BUT the Legacy One website says that they do not do direct donation only provide names and info for UNOS. Maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly.

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »