I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney Transplant broadcast live via Twitter next week
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Transplant broadcast live via Twitter next week  (Read 2623 times)
TeenHatesDialysis

« on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:36 PM »

http://www.evliving.com/2009/05/13/6615/hospital-to-twitter/

Susan, mom of Jaclyn, Deziree and Valerie

www.cotaforjaclynp.com
Jaclyn and Deziree diagnosed CKD 2/07; NPHP (type 1) 9/07
Jaclyn started dialysis 1/2/08
Successful Transplant 7/4/2009 at Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital @ Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
Deziree in denial
Jaclyn listed 5/08
Deziree listed 1/09 ("Inactive")
Jaclyn Cadaver kidney transplant 7/4/09 (Independence from dialysis day!)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:57:48 AM »

There is a live twittering session going on now from Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston.  A father *in a sister hospital" is giving a kidney to his son.  Updates are going to be made in the surgeries and after live on Twitter.  You can check it out at thru a link at:

cllick2houston.com

now

Edited: Merged with News Article - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:52:09 PM by okarol » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »

Dad’s kidney donation first operation to be posted live on Twitter
Posted: 1:08 PM May 18, 2009
Last Updated: 1:08 PM May 18, 2009
Reporter: Rita Kotey
Email Address: rita.kotey@kxii.com

DALLAS -- You may have heard of the website Twitter. You might even use it yourself, but on Monday, Children's Hospital in Dallas is doing something that’s never been done before—they are posting real-time updates of a major operation. A Bonham father and Sherman firefighter is donating a kidney to his young son. Rita Kotey has the one-of-a-kind, 21st century story.

Monday’s operation is extra special because a local dad is giving an extra special gift to his son. Sherman firefighter and Bonham native Chris Gilbreath is giving his son, John, a kidney at Children’s Hospital, and they wanted family and friends who were not able to go to Dallas to be able to follow their progress throughout the day, and they're making history while doing it.

Three-year-old John Gilbreath is an active little boy who wants to be a firefighter just like his dad. John has end-stage renal disease, which means his kidney does not function properly, so his father Chris stepped in to give him a kidney.

They have been in surgery since early Monday morning. Firefighters, family, and friends across north Texas are logged on to Twitter following their progress. This is the first time an operation has been logged with real time updates on the site.

Before the surgery, John told us that he wanted to give his son his kidney so that he can enjoy doing everything that three-year-olds love to do.

"I know one of the things we are going to enjoy doing is going swimming. He will be able to swim and do things that he can’t do now because of his catheter site," Chris Gilbreath told us Saturday.

The last update we received said the kidney had been removed from Chris and it is on its way to John, so John will be in surgery for a few more hours, but they both have a long road to recovery.

Follow live updates from the hospital at http://twitter.com/ChildrensTheOne

Be sure and tune into First News at Six for Rita Kotey’s full story on Chris, little John, and a medical and technological breakthrough.

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/45304787.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

Apologies:  I could have sworn that someone on the morning news sad Texas Children Hospital....

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

I thought I had missed it!  Now we have time to plan.  Thanks DW and Okarol.  How exciting is this!  AlohaBeth does twitter, so we will have to check this out. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »

ChildrensTheOne

A succssful surgery wraps up at 2:30 p.m. CST. Thank you all for tuning in, John is on his way to being a healthy, happy 3 year old.

about 3 hours ago from web
John is all stitched up and will be receiving an epidural for pain management.

John was born with kidney problems and has been on dialysis since birth. Last night was most likely his last dialysis treatment.

Dr. Desai and Dr. Mitchell are starting to close John's incision.

Dr. Desai is taking John's dialysis catheter out.

Urine is coming out of the bladder and Dr. Desai has finished the anti reflux valve.

Dr. Desai connected the kidney to the bladder. Now, they will create a valve to prevent urine from backing into the kidney from the bladder.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »

What about the father?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »